Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All - Searched for info on this here to no real avail hence the question - I need to eventually replace the HVAC unit and to add insult to this the fan bushes are NOW partially seized - squirrel cage sometimes spins (at hi only) when the unit it tapped / slapped by hand.

SO, will silicone or other lube get me thru the next 6 months while I do important things like brake overhaul and flush, replace all vacuum / intake hoses, replace all cooling hoses, replace all fuel hoses, filter, and electrics to injectors, then catalytic and exhaust.

·
Registered
237 Posts
There is another thread on here somewhere about this. But to summarize my findings.... I replaced my bearings with roller blade bearings and some zipties. Not pretty, but it works amazingly well.

Also, in that thread, I list the part number for what I believe is a suitable replacement motor.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Pull the blower and send it to a local electric shop. They'll be able to repair it quite reasonably. Nothing special about it. Squirrel cage blower. Dime a dozen

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I've squirted WD40 in thorught the vent holes to the blower motor bearings. Use the long tube that comes with the can to get it to them as best you can.

It is a limp home type of fix, but has got me through several years. You also get the nice aroma of penetrating oil. Didn't notice any issues w/ defrost (oily residue), but defrost never worked that well anyway.

·
Registered
72 Posts
On my Alfetta many years ago the fan motor seized. My local Alfa shop (Barbers in Sacramento) suggested I drill the housing/bushing (not all the way through!) and epoxy the end of a paper clip in the hole.

Then when the epoxy is dry, oil the bushing, and spin the fan.

It worked! And my fan ran for many years afterwords without a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts