Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well put all the brake stuff back on...can't bleed right front...no fluid will come out...

What was done...all fluid drained, MC removed, pedal assembly removed, clutch MC removed from assembly, booster removed (no fluid inside booster), clutch pivot inspected and lubed, both MC reservoirs removed and completely cleaned inside and fully dried out,

Hard lines and hoses were not touched.

Everything re-installed (no new parts), new o-ring on MC/booster mating (power brakes previously no-functional for vacuum leaks), rear brakes flushed and bleed, clutch flushed and bleed, front left flushed and bleed.

Right front refuses to pass any fluid to the caliper bleed screw...

I suspect either a blocked steel line, hose or the MC port for the front right is blocked? I note that the MC has two steel line outlets for the front brakes, but I assume they are internally connected inside the MC.

I will let you know, when I bought the car the power brakes were out. Braking was very hard. And the car did pull a little to the left when braking...the car has not been driven since.

After putting it all back together, the power brakes now work very well and the car pulls very hard to the left when braking. I suspect the brake line had already been blocked when purchased.

I have not yet tried opening the hose/steel line union to see if fluid flows. Nor have I opened the steel line/MC union to look for fluid flow. Open to comments/suggestions/similar experiences....

·
Administrator
17,050 Posts
Also check that that the bleed screw isn't totally clogged. I've seen them with so much crud inside that I had to use a drill bit to clear it out. But the most likely fault is a bad flex hose. They can delaminate internally and act as one-way valves or no-way valves.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bleed screw is fine...I could blow thru it. After work I'll start with the steel line/hose joint and see if I get fluid flow. Work from the caliper back to the MC. Much preferred to replacing/rebuilding the MC.

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
The rubber flex hose is probably swollen up.

Loosen the line nut on that comes from the master cylinder and see if you get fluid out. If you do. Its the rubber hose.

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
The rubber flex hose is probably swollen up.
And if it is swollen shut, then replace all three flex hoses (2 front, 1 rear). They are probably all of the same vintage, and it will never be easier than when the hydraulic system needs bleeding anyways.

The rigid lines seldom get blocked.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hose is totally blocked. I opened the hose at the caliper end...not even a drop of fluid will come out not matter how hard I stand on the brakes.

I cracked the hose at the steel line end and fluid comes right out...

I have never, ever heard of brake hoses getting swollen shut until this BB....I've seen them crack, swell up on the outside and "sweat" fluid. I've seen them burst...

Visually they hoses look fine...not even any hair line cracks in the casing...

but totally clogged it is...

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
Its fairly common after 25 to 30 years. The flex hose for the clutch is more common because it gets oil dripped all over it.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
FWIW - my beater is a Ford Escape (2013) with 210000 miles. I just had a problem with my front right flex hose that resulted in a caliper freeze that was just enough not to notice on the highway. Got home and the rotor was cherry red (replaced it). The flex hoses can get you every time. Before some one asks why an old Ford Escape - I give it to garage attendant in downtown DC every day and never worry about the subterranean dings and dents... I would never let them park the Alfa.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
hose is totally blocked. I opened the hose at the caliper end...not even a drop of fluid will come out not matter how hard I stand on the brakes.

I cracked the hose at the steel line end and fluid comes right out...

I have never, ever heard of brake hoses getting swollen shut until this BB....I've seen them crack, swell up on the outside and "sweat" fluid. I've seen them burst...

Visually they hoses look fine...not even any hair line cracks in the casing...

but totally clogged it is...
Horray. Now replace all three hose and any very rusty lines and consider the Clutch hose. It is a common problem as is hose cracking on outside drawing the attention of inspection officials.

Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts