Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
I've never seen any stamping like this (certainly not factory stamping -- they would have had punches with the letters "A" and "R" rather than cobbling letters together).
A replacement block, maybe, with 00559 pointing to a date (May, 1959) rather than a serial number?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Wrong font, wrong size, wrong/short sequence of numbers. Looks bogus to me without a bonafied story.

I have one stamped like this however.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,204 Posts
Are both stamps on the same engine? That in itself seems odd to me. The R looks like a composite, a circle and some short straight stamps.

Is there anything unique about a 1300 GTA block that would otherwise show? Liner spigots in block larger due to bore/stroke? Aren't they short stroke big bore compared to earlier 1300s?

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback guys, it looked goofy to me as well. Yes same block has both stampings. Standard 1300 is 74mm bore 75mm stroke vs. 78 X 67.5 for a GTA Jr. motor

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Would any 00559 blocks have had the number on the exhaust side flange?
Andrew
No, only on the the boss below intake.

ken

·
Registered
525 Posts
1300 GTA blocks are larger in the liner location bore in the block, 84 or 85mm rings a bell. (It's been a couple years since I've worked on one).
IF it is a 1300 GTA block, I wonder if it was a blank spare parts block & somebody has stamped the short basic 1300 GTA model number to I.D. it as not just a regular 1300.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts