Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
'67 was off the valve cover. USA version had an early version of a PCV valve, all other countries it went into the intake plenum without the valve. Hole on the back of the block got a cover like yours, but without the holes in the cover.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so your saying the 67 would have a block off plate. Is there any difference in engine performance either having a block off plate or a block breather attached?
is this the correct block off (using this picture from someone else’s post)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
Not really. One reason they moved it is the block location would spit oil readily at high rpm. Plus eventually, maybe they saw it coming, they'd need recirculation into the air box for American market cars, easier from the cam cover.

Giulietta Veloces, which have the breather at the back of the block, have a curved upward standpipe because the original horizontal one spit out oil.

Andrew

·
Registered
219 Posts
left black cast one belongs on the back of the 67 1600 block. performance would re reduced by sending casing piston ring blow by gases back into the intake (reducing qty of fresh oxygen to mix with fuel). How many HP....who knows. In a racing set up, you would connect that to an oil over flow tank, and keep it away form the intake.

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
What I meant was re breathers, one is not going to give better performance than the other just based on the location of venting the block. You have to do it somehow, can go overboard or back into the intake.
Andrew

·
Registered
140 Posts
If your cam cover does not have a breather pipe you need one on the block on the rear, it's interesting that the GTA engines had the breather on the filler cap so perhaps better breathing gives a little more power. What you do with the spent air is up to you, on an engine that's tuned where your pushing ignition advance for maximum power you don't want oil in the combustion charge as it promotes pre ignition which kills engines long term
I always run a filter and catch can

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, very helpful. The 67 stepnose cam cover does not have a breather pipe to the airbox. I am going to run the block breather with pipe to the underside of car and use my gta oil cap with catch can. That should be more than enough air flow. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
It would be useful if we knew the motor number and the chassis number of your car as Alfa were transitioning from the 101 series to 105 in those years. Also, in the USA, many states labeled the car as a '67 if that was when it was first sold, not the model year.
My blue GTV is the classic early production car with small rear arches, trunk release on the right door jam and 2 bolt lower front suspension arm attachment. Chassis # is 242388 which should be the 1618th GTV made of 6127 in 1966.
My original motor is 536*02650 and came with the crank case breather from the cam cover to air cleaner. Here is a picture of the fitting at the rear of the block.
Much like my 101 Spider, except that the aluminum fitting has a steel cap pressed inside.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi 101/105guy,
So the block fitting you show here is blanked inside? If so, I've never seen one of those before. Possibly an interim part before the actual little cast blanking plate came in, and/or a way of using up the existing fittings that would be redundant otherwise? Interesting.

·
Administrator
12,551 Posts
Thanks for the replies, very helpful. The 67 stepnose cam cover does not have a breather pipe to the airbox. I am going to run the block breather with pipe to the underside of car and use my gta oil cap with catch can. That should be more than enough air flow. Thanks.
I think the block breather hose should go to the catch can as well. Keep oil off public roads ... and also off your rear tyres should your engine decide to become an oil pump one day
Pete

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Yes, Alfa is well known for "winging it" as we say in the north! They probably had a pile of the Al, castings to use up when the smog rules changed.
I don't have the numbers handy, but the '67 model Duetto I owned had the cast blanking plate. It was probably made in 1966 and first sold in 1967.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Just to close the loop, breather tube has been sourced, delivered and installed. Oil can is on route and engine ready to be installed. Thanks again

8FD15552-47CD-4466-BEF3-DB38F2E6394C.jpeg
C80705E4-D954-4052-BE45-36C43F9B2E78.jpeg
2A02A095-7A6D-4EAB-BC6C-B6581055B91E.jpeg
C80705E4-D954-4052-BE45-36C43F9B2E78.jpeg

·
Administrator
12,551 Posts
Looks fantastic, but that is then going to go to a catch tank isn't it?

Pete

·
Administrator
12,551 Posts
That is the nicest catch tank I've seen :)

Pete

1 - 19 of 19 Posts