Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Graduate
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While replacing the primary fuel pump and filter I noticed two hose coming from the gas tank and having liquid on them. They appear to be bloating or puffy where the liquid is. It is not fuel, or brake fluid. I can't tell what it is. My gut feeling is that it is not good. Below are pictures I took of them. The hoses connect to a device which connects to a single hose to the primary fuel pump. It all sits above the rear differential. The differential is dry. Any suggestions, advise, or references to other related threads would be appreciated. The Grad runs fine.

Alan 86 Grad

Attachments

·
Registered
1986 Graduate
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone for replying so fast. I'll try and get under the Grad Monday or Tuesday night. I'll post what I find. It hasn't been washed for a while (garage kept), and it doesn't go out in the rain. One thought I had was that fuel could be collecting in the hose. There is no gas smell. There is no smell at all. Condensation??? A second thought was spray from the differential. Again, no smell / odor. I might duct tape some paper on the under body to verify the spray theory. I'll also check the diff lub level. My tird thought was that it may be barke fluid. I remember seeing it a few years ago and wipping it off. Duh, I forgot to follow up on it until I noticed it again during the fuel pump project this past week. Since I haven't blown up, I guess it's not too dangerous :|

·
Registered
1986 Graduate
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a follow up. I was at the gas station filling the Grad when I showed the pictures to the mechanic. I told him what was mention in this thread, and my plans to look under the Grad later tonight. He looked over his shoulder and said both his bays were empty and directed me to pull it in. We lifted the Grad and sure enough he verified that we're looking at a rear differential leak. We also found that I need to replace some bushings, and I need to keep an eye on my front left hub. I'll go to AW in the morning and pick up the parts. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help.

Alan 86 Grad

·
Registered
1986 Graduate
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not leaking on the floor like a drip. When in gear it's being painted to the underbody. Maybe the pictures don't show it correctly, but you can see an arch in how its getting on everything. More so on the passenger side of the car as compared to the driver's side. It's coming out of the seal near where the drive shaft connets to the differential.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.