Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just cruising down Central Ave here in Phoenix yesterday afternoon. Did have a bit of noise coming from somewhere in the drivetrain when I backed off on the throttle but nothing seemed imminant until . . . BAMMMMM. The little red spider jumped and bucked and out the side mirror I saw little pieces rolling out from under the car and across the roadway. Skipping the wait for the platform tow I will say I noticed that the rear of the driveshaft was hanging loose and the whole front part of the diffy was missing and everything smelled of gear lube. Got the car delivered up to my Alfa mechanic (Auto International) and still waiting for the news to get it fixed. Bummer, first real prob with the quad.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sorry to hear that. :( Hope your back up and running soon.

Paul

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hoping my alfa guy has a rear axle/differential in his parts bin and he can just do a swap. Prob have to rebuild the drive shaft as well. We shall see.

·
Super Moderator
11,219 Posts
Please let us know what actually failed. Alfa differentials tend to be pretty reliable - I've never heard of one failing as yours did.

Possibly the diff ran out of oil, causing the pinion bearing to seize up and fracture the casting. But you said that you could smell oil - how big was the puddle under the broken diff?

Possibly the rear U joint seized and fractured, allowing the driveshaft to whip around. That might batter the underside of the floor, but I wouldn't expect it to shatter the diff casting.

Yes, the easiest fix will probably be to just to swap in good, used differential and driveshaft assemblies.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,560 Posts
I got a 410 rear axel for my 74 gtv and it wasn't cheap to ship. If you do have to get one shipped I got a decent discount from Fedex Freight for being a first time customer that brought the cost down to around 120 bucks for a 300 mile ship. At least the guy was able to palletize it. Hope that helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
what part?
10,108 Posts
.. i really hate to tell this... but a few years ago.. i was swapping a 4.56 axle to a 4.10 axle... 80 mph on the former axle was.... buzzy... well i pulled out the old axle.... took the lower pate off to drain out the old oil out of the 4.10.. new gasket on the 4.10 instled the 4.10.. bleed the brakes...and off i went.... got on the freeway( how i drove that far on no oil in the rear axle,i do not know..about 5 miles )got up to speed..65-70 mph..... then the rear end locked up,, fishtailing,, skid marks.. pulled her over.. had no idea what happened..looked under the car,, thought i might of hit or picked up something on my rear end..nothing....started her back up.. go into 1 st gear.. no movement,, try reverse..nada...( by the way this was at 10 pm , no flashlight)cut the motor.. look agian.. nada.. start the motor,,,1 st gear nope, agian reverse gear,,nada...so i pull my jack out of the car.. lift up one side, try to turn a wheel.. locked,, check parking brake,, off.. jack up other wheel.. locked...hum.. put my hand on rear axle.. hot as hell... thinking back, brakes yup... parking brake cable yup...adjustment of parking brake yup... look in the trunk... oh sh***... 2 quarts of 90/140 weight oil... forgot to put oil in the rear axle...

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I got a 410 rear axel for my 74 gtv and it wasn't cheap to ship.
The late Russ Nealy told me a trick to bring the shipping down: remove the axle and tube from the non-setup side and ship it in two seperate boxes. If you've also removed the calipers and discs they're light enough and short enough to ship UPS. You also have to make sure that it's drained and bagged sufficiently to contain the ooze. I shipped a rear end to R.Jemison this way with no issues. If your mechanic can't fine one, I've got one and it sounds like several others on the board do as well. I think they made the switch from 4.56 to 4.10 around '81 or '82. Good luck and be thankful there weren't any injuries!

Marc,

If it was a pre-'72 non-LS diff., you can't give them away (at the time of this writing anyway) but one from a '91 is worth saving. You could cut the spider in half and take it to the junkyard in the back of a pickup so you won't need to roll it. AZ and CO look pretty close on my map.

·
Premium Member
14,664 Posts
He may only need the pumpkin if the axle tubes are undamaged. They are easy to ship.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,560 Posts
now that is a good idea about splitting it up. The shipping compaines are pretty stiff when it comes to hazardous materials shipping and I'm pretty sure used oil is, it would have to be sealed very well.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hope to Have More Info Tomorrow

from the Alfa mechanic . . . fingers crossed . . . make that Monday

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Auto International tells me

they have replace the rear axle and I am ready to go again. Will find out financial damage tomorrow. Will report back later . . .

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
what part?
10,108 Posts
i know of a axle..my back yard..

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
The late Russ Nealy told me a trick to bring the shipping down: remove the axle and tube from the non-setup side and ship it in two seperate boxes. If you've also removed the calipers and discs they're light enough and short enough to ship UPS. You also have to make sure that it's drained and bagged sufficiently to contain the ooze. I shipped a rear end to R.Jemison this way with no issues. If your mechanic can't fine one, I've got one and it sounds like several others on the board do as well. I think they made the switch from 4.56 to 4.10 around '81 or '82. Good luck and be thankful there weren't any injuries!

Marc,

If it was a pre-'72 non-LS diff., you can't give them away (at the time of this writing anyway) but one from a '91 is worth saving. You could cut the spider in half and take it to the junkyard in the back of a pickup so you won't need to roll it. AZ and CO look pretty close on my map.
Cut it out, Bill! UT and CO are pretty close too, and I've been looking for a 4.10 for your old Super for a long time. With the slightly undersized tires the 2L runs about 4000 RPM on the freeway and it's getting a little old.

How are things, BTW?

-Jason

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Cut it out, Bill! UT and CO are pretty close too, and I've been looking for a 4.10 for your old Super for a long time. With the slightly undersized tires the 2L runs about 4000 RPM on the freeway and it's getting a little old.

How are things, BTW?

-Jason
Jason,

Sounds like you need to make Marc an offer. If not, I've got one you can buy on your next trip east.

Doing well, thanks. I took the Berlina on a shakedown cruise yesterday. Other than a couple times around the block it was the first time it had been on the road in over 20 yrs. Spica needs dialing in (running rich), transmission shifts great but the clutch was slipping so I'll have to order some parts and dedicate a weekend to that. I'm sure other things will emerge as I fix and drive but it's great to have an Alfa sedan again. Let me know next time you have business back east.

Forzaguy - Let us know what your mechanic thought caused the failure. Glad you're back in business!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Exploding Diffy Problem Solved

Here is the story from the Alfa mechanic. Time to blame the DPO again and he knew the DPO. Apparently the DPO did some kind of work on the diffy but forgot/didn't stake the pinion nut down. It eventually broke loose and the result was the destruction of the diffy. Luckily he had in his parts bin a complete rear axle from an LJet spider and he thinks even the same year ('87). Also found a couple a dry rotten fuel lines up above the axle and replaced those. Everything else was saved. On the road again!!!!!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FWIW, cost about $900 which included a complete rear axle ($600) saved from a similar year car with better mileage, brakes, etc than the broken one. Drives well and think it was less costly to replace the whole axle at once than buy pieces one at a a time, only 4 hours of labor charge. Could have been worse.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,023 Posts
****, that's not bad. I feel lucky every time I get out of the shop for anything less than $1K :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts