Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Joppa, any progress? I've just bought a Chiaro Blue 1750 that needs total resto. Very envious of the amazing condition your car is in. The owner of my car ticked the factory rust option. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hi mate,
Hey good to see another Chiaro Blue out there!!! Shame about the rust (just such a pain to repair), even I found some more lurking underneath the radiator support the other week after searching every nook and cranny! Just can't escape it :(
Yes actually I do have some more updates and it's time to continue with the thread I first started :) I did have an unfortunately set back with the previous spray painter / rust repair guy. In short, I was spending about $500 a day for him to do the work at my place, starting with the rust repairs and then stripping the paint. Everything seem to be going well until after he painted the epoxy primer. The more I looked at his work, the worst it seem to become. Eventually, I had to tell him to just stop. Nice bloke really, but the workmanship was just terrible. So bad in fact, I've now had to start all over again, and am now undergoing a complete nut and bolt resto which wasn't my first intension. It was so deflating I had to walk away for a few months. I was also made redundant from my job at the time and had to start a new career path on top of the depressing loss of close to $5000 (including the materials). I never wanted to go so far into a restoration but now I have no choice. It's going back to bare metal once again and this time seeing a more reputable panel beater / spray painter who seems very familiar with these things.
So let me know how you go with your resto, would love to see some updates :) Been a real learning path I can tell you!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Some older pics on when I first picked up the car last year.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
That sounds kinda heart breaking. Good to hear you have regrouped and motivated to get back into it. I've searched lots of websites and no one seems to sell motivation :)
My car is currently on a truck heading to a really good panel beater for assessment. It will cost a fair bit but I can't do any of that stuff. Once I get it back, I plan to pull every nut and bolt off and deliver them a sand blasted shell. Then the fun begins putting it back together! Here is what it will look like with new paint and these wheels (no bumperettes or side markers though).

Finished Product.JPG

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Haha yeah tell me about it, sometimes it's hard to keep going and stay motivated. But that pic surely helps. Looks just fantastic and the adventure in getting there is great fun, you'll love every minute of it. Keep me posted and if you need any help just let me know (even though I'm still learning myself). Very true the Series 2 doesn't look as good as the series one that's for sure

·
Registered
5 Posts
That photo is now my PC wallpaper as motivation. I love Series 1 and Series 2. I grew up on Mini Cooper Ss with bumperettes so totally OK with that look. Will post progress photo for sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Guys... Am Pavlos from Nicosia, Cyprus... Here is my Bleu Chiaro Metall as is today... A year 1970 Giulia Super, 1.6lt...and must be the only Alfa Romeo with this color ever imported in Cyprus. Am done with all mechanical work.. Engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes everything is like new... Am now left with the body work, which is not that bad... Except frm the passenger floor that needs to be replaced the rest of the rust looks to be very little... Am not sure if I will ran into surprises when the front and rear glasses are removed... Joppa, if you can recall, we need the exact dimensions of the color label... Did you succeed to find yours ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys... Am Pavlos from Nicosia, Cyprus... Here is my Bleu Chiaro Metall as is today... A year 1970 Giulia Super, 1.6lt...Am done with all mechanical work.. Engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes everything is like new... Am now left with the body work, which is not that bad... Except frm the passenger floor that needs to be replaced the rest of the rust looks to be very little... Am not sure if I will ran into surprises when the front and rear glasses are removed... Joppa, if you canrecall, we need the exact dimensions of the color label... Did you succeed to find yours ? View attachment 1649842
I see your car is right hand drive! Not many european countries drive on the left side of the road. Just Cyprus?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hi Pavlos, I am so sorry to say but I still have not found the sticker. I know there's no way I threw it out, but am still going through so much Alfa stuff and this is still on my mind, but to no avail, I just can't find it and it's driving me crazy. I think I was flattening it out within a book, but I have so many!!! and for the life of me I still cannot locate it. Once my car goes in for the paint I'll have much more room to look, but for now nothing I'm afraid. By the way I really love your Giulia, something about the four door that looks so cool!!!! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Pavlos, I am so sorry to say but I still have not found the sticker. I know there's no way I threw it out, but am still going through so much Alfa stuff and this is still on my mind, but to no avail, I just can't find it and it's driving me crazy. I think I was flattening it out within a book, but I have so many!!! and for the life of me I still cannot locate it. Once my car goes in for the paint I'll have much more room to look, but for now nothing I'm afraid. By the way I really love your Giulia, something about the four door that looks so cool!!!! :)
Hi Joppa.and thanks.. Lets hope that we are lucky and the sticker is still on the chiaro1750 beauty ? :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I AM SO HAPPY I COULD CRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pavlos, I was about to concede defeat, and there it was, wrapped in plastic and with my bonnet hinge plates staring right at me. I spent so many hours looking through every box I had from stripping the car (that's a lot of boxes), and finally here it is :)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great news my friend..

I have just sent all the info to a friend who is Graphics Designer to complete the label for AR337, and will send it to UK to a place I found on the internet that they can do foil printing.. I will order 5 of them...2 fr yu, 2 fr me and keep one spare... Will keep yu updated.... Many thanks again...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great news my friend..

I have just sent all the info to a friend who is Graphics Designer to complete the label for AR337, and will send it to UK to a place I found on the internet that they can do foil printing.. I will order 5 of them...2 fr yu, 2 fr me and keep one spare... Will keep yu updated.... Many thanks again... View attachment 1650156
Can you order 1 for me also please Pavlos?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Thank you Pavlos, that'll be very much appreciated, whatever the cost just let me know :)

41 - 57 of 57 Posts