Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Steering box is factory painted black (interesting I thought), and I'm afraid it doesn't feel the best. Seems to be grinding a bit and appears to be the ball bearing/worm gear type. I guess this will have to come apart as well!! Something I didn't want to do at all, but after feeling it what choice do I have :(

The wiper arm panel thing is pretty good, and no rust behind the heater box channel which is massive relief

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Some more washing a stripping. It was a 34deg C day and so I left it in the sun to dry out while I pulled stuff off.

You can see the inner fenders has rust under the paint. It's like this in several places. I'll strip this all off and treat the metal before respraying.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Steering wheel is off. I thought the puller was at the limit of breaking, it was so tight. But I left the tension on with some 50/50 to soak overnight. Really I just had to walk away as it was not playing ball. Next morning just a little extra and pop :)

The start lever is broken. Snapped at the pivot point, and I also found another lever in the glove box with ACCEL on it, which is also broken at the pivot point. So looks like the lever on the right (which is aluminium) may be aftermarket perhaps?

And yes, getting the dashboard out sucked. Look at where the sneaky little bugger was hiding! It has Alfa written all over it :) And the heater box.....well you see I'm 120kg.......and getting my arse in there was a challenge.

Attachments

·
Registered
747 Posts
Subscribed :smile2: Look at where the sneaky little bugger was hiding! It has Alfa written all over it And the heater box.....well you see I'm 120kg.......and getting my arse in there was a challenge.
Hi mate with regards to doing the dash and not knowing little things like where screws are,(JUST ASK HERE) there are about 3.5 million people who have been there already and are willing to part with their hard earned knowledge to enthusiasts like you and me. I can probably help with a steering box I have 3 in the back shed and 1 still in my berlina parts car.Just send me a P.M.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Joppa good luck with the resto..... this colour is one of my all time favourites for 1750 coupes and berlina.

I remember seeing one down here in Melbourne back in the 80’s and it’s just the best when fresh. You seem to have a great
Base to work with. All the problem areas look great. That floor area between/around the pedals looks mint. Even the metal under the
Rear side windows for a car so old look great. With the steering box, check via the inspection hole for lubricant. They have been known
To leak and that might be the grinding you can hear. But whilst it’s out good idea to inspect the internals and refresh the seals.

Good luck with it, it’s a great story.

Cheers,

Paul.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Subscribed :smile2: Look at where the sneaky little bugger was hiding! It has Alfa written all over it And the heater box.....well you see I'm 120kg.......and getting my arse in there was a challenge.
Hi mate with regards to doing the dash and not knowing little things like where screws are,(JUST ASK HERE) there are about 3.5 million people who have been there already and are willing to part with their hard earned knowledge to enthusiasts like you and me. I can probably help with a steering box I have 3 in the back shed and 1 still in my berlina parts car.Just send me a P.M.
Hey thanks mate will do. The dash was a spare of the moment thing and I just plugged away at it, though have been using this forum a lot lately to get a heads up before I start. Windscreen for example, I knew there would be a preferred method and it worked a treat. The front screen was cracked already but the rear came out without any issue.

There's a really good thread on the steering box build on this site, but will leave these till a later stage and get stuck in the body for now. I'll send you a P.M if I find something horrible inside though, thank you :smile2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Joppa good luck with the resto..... this colour is one of my all time favourites for 1750 coupes and berlina.

I remember seeing one down here in Melbourne back in the 80’s and it’s just the best when fresh. You seem to have a great
Base to work with. All the problem areas look great. That floor area between/around the pedals looks mint. Even the metal under the
Rear side windows for a car so old look great. With the steering box, check via the inspection hole for lubricant. They have been known
To leak and that might be the grinding you can hear. But whilst it’s out good idea to inspect the internals and refresh the seals.

Thank you I'll need all the luck I can get haha. I'm super lucky with this rust wise (even the colour I'm with you I think it looks great), I'll post some more photos as I've taken the windscreen out to see the status in there, and all my initial concerns can be put to rest.

I've taken the steering box out already, read some helpful forum notes and is now sitting in a bucket. Has only a little oil in there, and the seal looks pretty good but will replace anyway. I'll have to open it up and have a look at some stage and fingers crossed it nothing too bad?

Attachments

·
Registered
747 Posts
No worries mate you've got a great car there .I'd love to see it in the flesh.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Windscreen is out. Front cracked, but was cracked anyway though the rear came out in one piece. Thankfully it's all good underneath and the trims are in really good shape :)

Attachments

·
Registered
870 Posts
wow those surrounds are in great shape, your moving at a great pace.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
wow those surrounds are in great shape, your moving at a great pace.
All my worries were the windscreen surrounds, and still I just can't believe the state there in :smile2: Those photo's was when uncleaned as well so am just so relieved.

Yeah I'm zipping along with every spare chance I get, really enjoying it actually. Getting a couch builder in for the rust repairs. Not something I won't top tackle so this will save some time as well. I'll start stripping the paint shortly and get ready for the primer :smile2: Not a fun job but I'm finding using the ceramic Flex-o-vit pads really helps. Time to make a mess!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
No worries mate you've got a great car there .I'd love to see it in the flesh.
I'll send you a PM a bit later on as I might relocate the car for the body work. But when it gets back I'll let you know, and if you want you can pop on over sometime to have a gander :smile2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It's with a heavy heart to say my uncle, whom I received the Alfa from, passed away yesterday (albeit peacefully) after a long battle with cancer, the bastard thing it is (he was such a great man).

One saving grace he had was the updates on the Alfa and he awaited every update I gave. Was really hoping to have it painted at least before his inevitable passing, but it was not to be. I'm committed to have this finished more than ever now so after a little break, I'll get back to it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
It's with a heavy heart to say my uncle, whom I received the Alfa from, passed away yesterday (albeit peacefully) after a long battle with cancer, the bastard thing it is (he was such a great man).

One saving grace he had was the updates on the Alfa and he awaited every update I gave. Was really hoping to have it painted at least before his inevitable passing, but it was not to be. I'm committed to have this finished more than ever now so after a little break, I'll get back to it.
Very sorry to hear this my sympathies to you and your family.:sad:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Condolences Joppa .....

He has left a great legacy and now you have the added drive to complete it....

He'll be watching down on you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks mate appreciate it, I can already see I'll need a list of things that I'm sure won't be that easy to obtain? The colour has really grown on me, especially when I can see the paint in decent condition, it really does looks quite vibrant. Have already obtained the paint code for it so I'm set now :)
Hi from Cyprus.
Am in the process of restoring my 1970 Giulia Super, and the certificate received from "alfa romeo centro documentazione" says that the my color is Blu Chiaro Metallizzato Colore: A.R. 337. I have been looking for an original label for this color since more than a year... Did you get this one (IMAG2001) from some place where is reproduced or is it the original one ? Could you please take a close-up photo of this label for me ?
Thanks Pavlos, Nicosia-Cyprus

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hi Pavlos from Cyprus :) Glad to see a fellow Alfa lover from so far away!! Good to hear

Yes it's most certainly the original sticker. My uncle owned this since 1972 and it has never been touched. I'll have to dig out the sticker on the weekend. I had to remove it for the paint and it's somewhere in a huge area of parts. I have everything labelled so I should be able to locate it easily enough. But will get back to you on the weekend with a better photo.

Beautiful colour (or color for you guys ;)). I've seen one Giulia (many years ago) in this colour and really, we scored well on the colour choice as it really suits the car.

I actually did enquire with Classic Alfa a few months ago to see if they made a reproduction sticker for this colour, but at the time they said they just said "no".

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Joppa from Brisbane, the city of my old friend Lindsey Stanley :)
I have proceeded further last night regarding this....
I have found somewhere on the net a blanc label that I share with yu here. Having the fonds of the bottom line from yr label am only missing now the actual dimensions of the label.. If yu can measure the label yu have and share the dimensions with me I will try to find on net a company that is doing decal prints on foil and order frm them... So, when yu have the time if yu do come across the label, pls just measure it and send me the dimensions, and will keep in touch after that...

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I have searched high and low, but am really sorry to say I haven't been able to locate the little sticker? Which worries me a bit so will have have another dig through on the weekend. Too many bits and too much reminiscing a I go through the parts. I moved it somewhere safe (ha ha ha) as I used it for a fellow member in the past and also to try and locate a replica myself.
I won't give up till I find it...and will keep in touch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have searched high and low, but am really sorry to say I haven't been able to locate the little sticker? Which worries me a bit so will have have another dig through on the weekend. Too many bits and too much reminiscing a I go through the parts. I moved it somewhere safe (ha ha ha) as I used it for a fellow member in the past and also to try and locate a replica myself.
I won't give up till I find it...and will keep in touch.
Good-morning Joppa.... Ok. I also have time until I reach to that point, so whenever you find it please measure the 2 dimensions of the label and let me know. For your info, the other labels found on Giulia saloons of the same age are 60x40mm, but it would be safer if we have the exact dimensions of that specific one...

21 - 40 of 57 Posts