Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly I am new to this forum, and I would like to thank everybody, as I have been reading several thread and they have proven very helpful.

Recently in my '91 164 L when I try to turn on the air conditioning, all that I get is heat. I've been looking around and from what I can deduce it looks like my stepper motor has probably failed. I at this time don't really want to invest in a new motor along w/ having to remove the dash, so does anybody know of a way I could set the blend door to the cold side and just leave it there until next winter? All help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,930 Posts
Firstly I am new to this forum, and I would like to thank everybody, as I have been reading several thread and they have proven very helpful.

Recently in my '91 164 L when I try to turn on the air conditioning, all that I get is heat. I've been looking around and from what I can deduce it looks like my stepper motor has probably failed. I at this time don't really want to invest in a new motor along w/ having to remove the dash, so does anybody know of a way I could set the blend door to the cold side and just leave it there until next winter? All help would be greatly appreciated.
If the stepper is clicking that is the sign it is broken.

You can pull cover off inside of the glove box (which has tire PSI info on it), and you can access the rod for blend door. Change the from hot to cold and see if it moves. If not, you can remove speed clip off stepper and do it manually so you can get cold again.
Doing the stepper is not fun but not hard, just time consuming.
I replaced mine years ago with brass gears.

Jason

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
If you live in a hot climate, you need to add a manual heater core shut off valve to the heater core hose so that you can completely stop coolant from flowing through the heater core in the summer. The flapper door is not enough to stop heat from getting past it. It makes a huge difference. Go to the local auto parts store and ask for a Murray #84707 Shut-Off Valve for 3/4" heater hose.
Charles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.