Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone please tell me the steps of bleeding the radiator on a Alfa 33
Im thinking of flushing the system with new cooliant as i recon it need's it.
Water looks very dirty plus Ive never did it before have heard it pretty EASY with right STEPS.

Thanks peps!:)

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have done something similar to my sprint to change the water on the coolant system.Its pretty simple , you just have to remove the tube that returns water to the water tank and turn it to face down to the ground. Then get a hose or buckets of water to replace the water when you start the engine. This way all water of the coolant system is getting out from the return tube and you replace with fresh one, When the water becames clean you stop the engine and connect the tube back to the water tank. Of course there are vcleaning products to use but one very expirienced mechanic of Alfa's told me to avoid using them. I have done it twice so far with excelent result.

·
Registered
787 Posts
take cap off the over flow. get under car and use a socket wrench to undo the two coolant drain plugs (one each side of the engine, close to radiator end) and place a bucket under the two drain holes.. once the fluid has fully drained simply replace the plugs and refill from the overflow bottle. once its overflow shows full start and run the engine untill warm to make sure there is no air in the system (theyre shouldnt be but its good to check) then you can put the cap back on and your done :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

In order to be sure that all the grime is out of the cooling circuit you can use those special cleaners. These require to drain old coolant, add plain water and then add the cleaner; fire up the motor and run the engine to normal temp. Once the process is over, drain water and you are ready to add your fresh coolant.

In case you have access to air compressor it is a nice opportunity to blow compressed air to the heater hoses so that any left over coolant in the heater is out. Notice that heater holds about 1/2 lt of fluid plus the remaining in the heater hoses. You can do the same to the radiator as fluid remains below the lower radiator hose.

Top up the cooling circuit and squize the hoses in order to expel air from the circuit; in case the car has a/c fitted there is a bleeding screw at the heater casing for removing air in the circuit.

Fire up the motor and watch for the coolant level to be on the correct level.

Hope this helps,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts