Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me introduce myself. Long time lurker, first time poster. My name is Kevin, and I recently purchased my first Alfa, a '74 GTV 2000 in verde muschio. A few years back I made the mistake of getting hooked on BringaTrailer.com, and soon after realized I needed an Alfa to help empty my bank account. I've had the car about 6 months now, and am pretty happy with it so far. The paint and body was done by the previous owner, which was a huge plus for me, as it wasn't something I wanted to tackle. Although the door gaps are a bit wonky, the body appears to have no rust and the paint is of a good driver quality. The mechanicals are somewhat tired, but all work well for now, so I'll have the freedom to slowly fix/upgrade them over time. The suspension doesn't appear to have had much attention since Nixon was in office, so my next project will to be replace everything that is replaceable front to back. Thanks so much to forum member Vintre for posting the fantastic rebuild guides - I'm sure they will come in handy. And thanks to Papajam for the invaluable wiring diagrams! I'm excited to be a new member of this forum. It looks like there are a lot of knowledgable and very friendly folks here!

So, now to my question : ) I just recently replaced my clutch slave with a new unit, along with an SS line. I've bled it in what I believe is the proper manner.... gravity bleed with the bleeder valve at 12oclock. The result is absolutely no clutch feel. I even tried the plews oiler method (pushing the fluid up through the bleeder into the reservoir) and the pump pedal, open bleeder method with the same result. What should my next step be? New master cylinder?

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Have you tried pumping the pedal and cracking the line at the mc open then closing with the pedal down? Even just a little air out will help prime the mc then the slave will take fluid. I've also opened the bleed on the slave and hand squeezed the slave closed then close the bleed. When you release the slave should suck fluid into itself. It should only take a couple of cycles of air exiting the bleed before fluid is forced out from your squeezing the slave closed. Hope that helps and welcome aboard!

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
Kevin:

Welcome to Alfa ownership, and welcome to posting on the BB. Please don't take this as a put-down, but getting a slave cylinder bled usually isn't a big problem. The typical "rookie mistake" is not having the bleed screw at 12:00, yet it sounds like you got that part right.

Before diving into suggesting alternate bleeding techniques, why don't you tell us why you changed the slave cylinder? Was it leaking? Not working? You asked whether changing your clutch master should be the next step - I hate to just change parts indiscriminately on the hope it will address the problem. If your clutch wasn't working well before, then yes, perhaps the master was part of the problem. But if it was working OK before, I would pursue bleeding further before changing the master.

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
SS? Stainless steel?, what line was that? Speaking of changing parts, I will generally change the flexible line at the slave IF I don't know how old it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys! I originally changed the slave cylinder due to a constant leak that kept draining the reservoir. I bled the original leaky slave cylinder a few times with the gravity method, and it worked fine each time. Now that I have replaced the slave (and the flex hose with a new braided stainless hose), there are no leaks, but I can't seem to get the air out. My next step will be to try the two other bleed techniques that you mentioned Gigem and hope they work. Definitely don't want to replace the M/C if I don't have to. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
If you do change the mc you can get one in two days on amazon prime for 67 something bucks.

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
No sweat, glad to help.

·
Registered
959 Posts
anybody know where I can get a Bonaldi clutch master cylinder rubber boot? I can get it in a kit from IAP for $61. Seems a bit pricy to me.TIA, DB

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Make sure the braided line is not twisted too much as it could causing a restriction. I use the motive power bleeder and it works nicely with one person.

·
Registered
959 Posts
IAP only has a rebuild kit for $61 that includes the rubber boot. I just need the boot. But I will check with Centerline. Thx!

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
They should be close to the same.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
If you changed the hose also, that's a long column of air to expel. Try bleeding at the hose connection closest to the master cylinder (with the slave bleed fitting shut). Once you get fluid there, bleed it at the other end of the hose, then on to the slave.

Speed bleeders are the best thing since sliced bread, too. Just leave them cracked open and stroke away.

I have the Motive Power pressure bleeder, and it's terrific. It literally spits the bubbles out in one purge.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I changed the slave and flex hose. I have a power bleeder too but the engine and trans are out so I don't want to load the system up w/fluid just yet. I would think that unless the piston on the slave is up against the clutch arm one could blow the slave piston out the end slave cylinder, no? Or is there a snap ring that keeps it all together? I didn't pull the rubber boot of the end of the new one to see.

·
Registered
959 Posts
hmm?

They should be close to the same.
Hey gigem. I don't have enough room between the end of the adjustment screw on the master cylinder and the firewall to make much more of a difference in the pedal height. Its been so long since I driven the car I can't remember if the pedals were side by side or not. Will the pedal come up even more when the system is charged with fluid?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts