Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to get any fluid to the rear of the car. The old fluid was really, really dirty. I'm replacing rear calipers and removed the reservoir and flushed it out so at least that part is clean. I wanted to flush the brake line to the rear to avoid putting dirty fluid in the new calipers.
I have both rear calipers off. The tee fitting at the rear is plugged on the right side and a clear plastic hose is screwed tight in the left side of the tee. When I push the pedal, no fluid comes out.
I connected a hose to the front left brake so I could bleed both front and rear together to balance the proportioning valve. I get fluid out the front, but nothing out the back.
I disconnected the line feeding the rear brakes off the proportioning valve and get fluid there. While the line was disconnected, I blew air from the tee toward the front and got some air flow, but it seemed to take a bit. Has anyone had to replace the flex hose at the rear tee on their Milano. This is my 1st Milano. I know the 164 flex line collapse internally sometimes.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went back out and disconnected the steel line just ahead of the flex hose and get fluid there, so the flex hose is collapsed internally. Now, where do I get one of those?

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I see Centerlin has it. Think I'll try NAPA tomorrow. Then when they laugh, I'll get one from Centerline or one of the suppliers:)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Yea, I see Centerlin has it. Think I'll try NAPA tomorrow. Then when they laugh, I'll get one from Centerline or one of the suppliers:)
I don't know what's happening in Blaine but here I can go to a local hydraulics place and get one made for less than the price of an ordered one.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Blaine is a sleepy border town of about 5,000, so no hydraulic shops, no movie theaters, no music halls, 2 gas stations, 1 grocery store and a bunch of bars and of course a recreational pot shop. Hey, this is Washington State:)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Well, Blaine is a sleepy border town of about 5,000, so no hydraulic shops, no movie theaters, no music halls, 2 gas stations, 1 grocery store and a bunch of bars and of course a recreational pot shop. Hey, this is Washington State:)
Sounds like a nice place to live, if you have good internet access :smile2: might as well get the stainless lines from centerline, you won't be disappointed. If you search the BB you can find how to make a pressure bleeder from a bug sprayer, it really makes bleeding the rear much easier.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, there's lots of internet selection as long as you like Comcast. I'll use it to search for bug sprayers:)

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drove my black 164S into Bellingham to a hydraulic shop and got a brake hose made up. Had a few errands to do as well. When I got home I had time to install the hose and calipers. Put the new discs in place.
Next up install the pads and bleed the brakes. Then I can use the brakes to hold the discs while I torque the axle bolts.

·
Premium Member
27,000 Posts
You do know you have to set/adjust both inner and outer pistons on each rear caliper so each pad to rotor clearances on each side of rotor is 0.004 to 0.006"

Inner piston adjuster takes a small small 1/4" drill socket/ratchet set up and outer piston adjustor takes an allen wrench and a 17 or 19mm wrench.

As I remember parking brakes only work inner pistons.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Steve, yes I picked up on that. I believe the manual says .003-.005 for clearance spec, but owner recommended on new pads and rotors is .002 which I think I'll adjust for.
And I also picked up that the left inner turns in the opposite direction for adjustment to the other 3:)

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
Yowie, hope we don't have an earthquake. I prefer to have one set of wheels on the ground at any time. In your case, I think I would run a floor jack under the middle of the end you are working on at the time, just for kicks.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
looks like a billboard. MailPouch the roof? Welcome to 75"dom" R2. ciao chris

·
Registered
671 Posts
Del.

If you have air, run down to Harbor Freight - your jack-stands indicate that you know where they are - and buy their 'One Man Brake Bleeder' kit. I drilled an old fluid reservoir cap to adapt to their fill tank. It does make the job quick and easy.

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
I think you meant that message for Richard2. However, a good idea.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, Graham, the set of jack stands on the rear I got years ago from NAPA in Canada. They are really good and high quality. The front ones are Harbor Freight...they are ok, but no comparison to NAPA.
When I was in Bellingham yesterday to get the rear flex hose made, I visited the ReStore and got a 1 gallon sprayer for free, still in good working condition that will become a pressure bleeder. The brakes got bleed today with Sharon in the ****pit exercising her right leg:) It's down on all 4s now ready to be licensed and a test drive. The brakes feel much much better than when I got it.

I'll post some pics later, but in addition to the front suspension upgrade, it looks like it has upgrade springs and torsion bar in the rear. I'll Mic it so someone can tell me if if it's thicker than OEM, but i believe it is.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I licensed and insured the 75 today and took it to Bellingham for Sharon's doc appointment (brave aren't I). Ran great, but the brakes are still a little soft. I think I'll run it for a couple of weeks then recheck the pad gap and bleed again.
Here's some pics of the springs, rear torsion bar, from torsion bar and new calipers. Do all 75s have no front springs, or just this one?

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,509 Posts
Car looks nice. No springs on stock Milano front, just torsion bars.

Yeah, drive it for a few days and then re-bleed to get any last bubbles out and reset the clearances. The rear brakes should self-adjust once you get them right. What works for me:

1) Fully loosen parking brake cable
2) Adjust brakes to spec. per procedure
3) Repeatedly stomp on the pedal for a little while
4) Readjust parking brake cable to just take up the slack (but no more!)

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting on the parking brake. As soon as I started the nut on the cable the left arm started moving. I'd better have a look to make sure the left cable end is seated properly in the arm. When I was fiddling with it, I couldn't get the left parking brake to hold even with the adjusting nut screwed all the way in. The right parking brake held when the adjuster was almost all the way in. Doesn't sound right.
Also, I couldn't get the inner adjusters on either side to open to get a .002 feeler gage in, but the disc turned with only a little scraping.
We'll see how it looks after a couple weeks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts