Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2L block which has no serial number. It was installed in an '79 Alfetta which had it's engine rebuilt by the dealer, back in the day. The crank appears to be drilled as well. I have seen the threads in the forum, so I assume this is factory replacement short block. I thought it would be interesting to share a picture of a blank number plate. There is no evidence of being ground off, and there are no other numbers on the block. Yet another Alfa "thing"

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,555 Posts
I did not know they did that as late as the 2L though I'm well aware of it on all earlier engines. thanks for the information.

·
Premium Member
21,681 Posts
I've had one or two 2000 blocks with no number stamped it.

Some late Spica Spider block series were the same numbered series as the Alfettas, so I wonder if they all came out of the same basic pile, all the cranks were interchangeable, and they got water pump, pan, flywheel, oil pump, Spica pulley for the specific application but were otherwise the same?

Andrew

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My guess Alfa had a set of spares, which it stocked for warranty repairs. Keeping to the lowest common denominator, kept the costs down. Same reason late cranks all appeared to be the same.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My guess Alfa had a set of spares, which it stocked for warranty repairs.
The 1600 engine my Giulia has no serial number. The previous owner, who bought the car new, commented that it was a replacement block from the dealer.

Fred

·
Super Moderator
11,555 Posts
Un-numbered 1600 GTA NOS block.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,540 Posts
Un-numbered 1600 GTA NOS block.
Heck that is a dangerous thing in the wrong hands! In the Ferrari world a new genuine car would be born around that block.

Surely the dealers were supposed to stamp the new blocks?
Pete

·
Super Moderator
11,555 Posts
They were supposed to. This one came my way via Autodelta, many years ago.

·
Registered
201 Posts
...In the Ferrari world a new genuine car would be born around that block. Pete
Yes. The block in my Ti is unnumbered. I should show a picture of the lawn as seen through the floor. I practically have to build a new genuine car around this block! :001_unsure:
Fred

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
No number block

Same theme - I have used a NOS 2600 block ( Yes 50 year old NOS!) in my recent engine rebuild - block has no serial number purchased from E B Spares - UK lead spares supplier many years ago

·
Super Moderator
11,555 Posts
The unnumbered 2600 block sounds neat. How about a picture? Here is my GTA block data plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I managed to scoop an unnumbered early 1750 block a couple of years ago - still in the heavy cardboard box - which I will eventually build up with a new old stock front cover, cylinder head, valves, followers, crank, pistons etc etc etc. I know of another unnumbered 2600 block not far from me, and at least two unnumbered 750 blocks belonging to an old friend in Europe. About two hours from me, a well known company is turning out perfect facsimile pre-war 6C/8C blocks from time to time, but that's an altogether different story.

·
Super Moderator
11,555 Posts
If the block was supposed to be factory exchange, Alfa US dealers were supposed to re-mark the unnumbered blocks ans supply documents that the origininal block had been scrapped. No one ever did that. Some odd blocks sat unused for years, only to be rediscovered. I find the odd ones very interesting. Some are still out there.

·
Registered
252 Posts
750 unnumbered block

Is there a way to determine whether an unnumbered block was manufactured for normales or veloces? Parts book shows separate part numbers but what is the difference? I found such a block with caps and front cover. Caps and block are stamped 8549. Any clues I'm missing?

·
Super Moderator
11,555 Posts
I believe the answer for 750's is yes, you can tell. You need a 750 pro here, but weren't 750 main caps forged? It's harder with 101-1300's but gets easier again with 101-1600's where Veloces all had the reinforced rear main cap. (however some late 101-1600 normales also had the reinforced rear main.)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks Gordon. Caps look cast me but I'm not sure I would recognize a forged cap unless there was a distinct small emblem that would be more clearly defined by a forging. It makes sense though, hence separate part numbers.
While I have you, I also found a GTA oil pickup with a lightly scored pump housing. There are two reinforcing "straps" welded so as to prevent vibration cracking. They may have come from Autodelta that way, or did Ausca do this? May have come from my Ausca duetto; the original 1600.

·
Premium Member
21,681 Posts
Forged caps have a wider parting line than cast. Having the two to compare makes it easiest. A Veloce would normally have the 6mm water pipe stud on the little boss at the right rear of the block under the carbs. What about threaded vs nonthreaded dipstick hole?

Andrew

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The Veloce engine has larger main caps compared to the Normale main caps. The blocks without numbers were made for Normale, Veloce and SS/SZ blocks. The Normale blocks have smaller main caps and Veloce and SS/SZ blocks have larger main caps. The SS/SZ blocks are milled and use shorter liners than Veloce blocks. The SS/SZ pistons are machined so they do not hit the cylinder head. I have rebuilt Normale, Veloce and SS/SZ engines over the years and can show people the differences. The main caps are numbered for all three engines. The Normale block is not drilled for 6 mm stud that used to hold on the heater pipe. I have all three engine types at my home.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts