Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I'm progressing along on my 71 GTV build. I was about to ship a bunch of suspension components out for black powder coating. BUT .... I just received some parts I had black zinc coated at Van Nuys plating and they are beautiful. I got to thinking about doing some of my suspension parts ( spindle assembly, dust shields, control arms ) in black zinc instead of powder coating has anyone done this? To me the thick black powder coating looks anything other than factory original and the zinc looks closer . Paint was most likely used in 1971. What are the pro's and cons? I don't care about my build being 100% accurate if it means an improvement. Zinc is hell of a lot cheaper than PC anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Black zinc (actually zinc electroplating followed by black chromating) is probably a good choice for the application. My experience with an all-season daily driver is you'll get about somewhere between three to five years before the black zinc parts start noticeably rusting. With properly prepared powder coated parts better than 15 years.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I like black zinc for hardware better than black powder coated parts. The original bolts were black oxide and they tend to rust much faster than black zinc. I had some 1750 wheels powder coated and they lasted longer than regular paint and primer, but I decided to have my 101 Sprint Veloce wheel painted with regular paint instead of powder coated. I know that rust protection depends upon the coating, but the environment is much more important when considering rust prevention. I worked for a major water and electrical utility for almost thirty-seven years as a chemist and metallurgist and corrosion protection is very important. The protection depends upon the material and environment. You specify the type of corrosion protection when you order the material. I know that 1950-1980 Alfa Romeo cars were made to last not more than ten years in normal European weather. The later cars used plastic exterior parts that will never rust unlike Alfas made with steel rocker panels and steel bumpers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts