Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....anyone re-making these.
My caps are good but my rings look like crap.
They are on my 1965 Sprint GT.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
This is an issue I've been toying with, too. I know someone is reproducing these rings because I've seen cheap (but good quality) repro hubcaps for sale at parts meets in Italy, but AFAIK these are not available separately. Maybe you could remove the rings from the caps and carefully remove as much silver paint as possible, before re-applying the silvering?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I have successfully renovated a couple of these by lifting all the paint, applying silver enamel (with a fine hobby brush) on the inside of the lettering and then finishing them with black spray enamel. Its not too difficult to remove the old paint if you work slowly with a scalpel. Problem is, most have been sun-damaged and end up fogged in the same way that the Sprint GT sub dials do, so all the renovation work in the world wont make them look any good.

The other problem is the plastic clips on some of them snap REALLY easily when you try and remove them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 5 rings 1 perfect, 3 paint messed up, 1 yellow.
I did a search on stripping paint from plastic.
Many sites mentioned brake fluid as a great stripper for plastic parts.
I've had the yellow ring soaking for close to 24 hours and the paint has not blistered at all!
They should paint the body of the cars with this paint!
It's indestructible!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Many sites mentioned brake fluid as a great stripper for plastic parts.
I've had the yellow ring soaking for close to 24 hours and the paint has not
Even if the brake fluid strips the paint, you're still going to have a yellowed ring, so no matter what you do to it on the inside finish-wise, it will still be foggy... Its a pain in the arse.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct!
I am trying the yellowed ring as a test only to see if the paint comes off and does not damage the plastic.
If it works I will then strip the clear rings & re-paint.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I saw a product in the auto store the other day that supposedly removed yellowing from plastic convertible windows, maybe it works on other plastics!? Can't for the life of me remember what it was called though, lol!! But go into your local store and ask maybe.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
The brake fluid did not work.
I ended up clening them well and re-spraying them black (all the silver was ok).
They look ok for now until I find some good driver quality caps.
Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts