Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring a 1962/63 101 Sprint.

My question:

Should the trunk be painted black or body color? My car had heavy undercoat inside the trunk is this correct?

And, what about under the trunk lid?

Grazie!
Todd

·
Registered
408 Posts
Todd,

Sprint trunks were primered, with a generous amount of undercoating material applied over this, giving the appearance of pebbly "black" paint. The trunk lid center recessed metal was also finished the same, with the outer framework being painted body color. I have also seen a few trunk lids that were completely black on the underside, with no body color. What I am doing on my present restoration of a 55 Sprint is to prep the trunk interior with the same primers as the exterior area receives, spray the trunk areas with a black paint that has a flatting agent added to cut the gloss. Then apply a light coat of undercoat material out of a spray can to give it that authentic surface appearance and texture.

Vern in Oregon

·
Administrator
3,814 Posts
Agree with Vern

By mid '58 the trunk lids were all black underneath, I have a barn find '57 Sprint with black inside & body colour on the lip, but I suspect that this was labour intensive and when Bertone ramped up from +-200 Series I Sprints per month to nearly 400 Series II Sprints per month, the lids were just blown over with chassis black on the underside. I have pictures of an unrestored '58 SV in Biancospino and it's black right up to the edge of the outer lip. Trunk hinges are also chassis black.

Ciao
Greig

1 - 4 of 4 Posts