1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
If this car had an original 1600 engine, the buy-it-now price would be more than fair. Certainly the car looks stunning and the $42000 spent restoring it is very believable. I think this car is worth inspecting in person, but I also think that the non-original engine would bring down the price by a good 25% compared to an all original car in similar condition.

Best regards,

·
Registered
657 Posts
I saw this car and talked to its owner at Atlanta's Italian Car Day. It is a beautiful car. He was a little confused as to its origin, but it appears he has now ironed it out. I did not get underneath the car, but from what I could see, the car is in nice shape. He complained about some of the new paint he'd put on the car, but he told me he was taking it back to the shop to have them fix it right. Not sure if he did or not, and it is hard to tell in the pictures. The paint was new, however, and looked really nice (except for a few panels he was complaining about). Not sure what's under the carpet.

I thought I heard him say that he had the original motor, but he chose to rebuild the 1750 because at the time he thought he had a '69 Spider (oops). Maybe someone can get the original motor with the car. That would be nice, even if he/she kept the 1750 in the car for now.

That's all I know (or think I know).

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
...I thought I heard him say that he had the original motor, but he chose to rebuild the 1750 because at the time he thought he had a '69 Spider (oops). Maybe someone can get the original motor with the car. That would be nice, even if he/she kept the 1750 in the car for now.

That's all I know (or think I know).
Being able to purchase the car with the original motor on the side would be very desirable, raising the value of this example considerably and justifying a top dollar transaction. Love the black color with the minilites.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
sold for $24.5K, that's a lot of money for a Duetto...especially considering the wrong engine and color not being original....but it sure looks good!
My Duetto is not for sale, but if I were offered that kind of cash, I think I would take it for my Duetto with 2L engine ;)

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I would Agree that this Car Sold for More Than Expected

But I suspect that it was probably purchased by someone that is not very familiar with Duettos. Certainly they would know that it was never offered in black (Nero). The engine swap to a 1750 is not that bad, as many Duettos have this conversion, it just makes the original 1600's more desireable to those that know what they are actually buying. I'm concerned about the "sock" air filters, as they not only let in more dirt, but also are less efficient, especially in comparison to an "European" Weber air filter of later years.

I would hate to think what this car would have fetched at B-J coming up. As long as it looks nice, it could have sold for a lot more (being a lot less expensive than your Shelby GT350 or 67 GTO, etc.).

Hopefully, this buyer will discover this board and we can set him straight!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
eBay ad for 67 Black Duetto

I note that the engine is a 1750 with twin webers not a 1600. By the way, I have seen good RHD Duettos here in Australia priced higher recently, and they get that price!
regards
Greg Smith
Melbourne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts