Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brake fluid in the MC resivoir on my 78 Spider is black. The brakes work ok, but not great. I can't get the wheels to lock up, no matter how hard I push the pedal. Pedal stays firm, and the booster passes the quick on-off test.

Should I just flush the system or replace all the lines? Anybody got any tips or techniques for flushing the system?

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
..just flush it all out..use a turkey baster to suck out the old fluid form the res...if you want just a sharp tug will remove it to clean it..after you clean it,, fill res. wiht castrol brake fluid..blead it this way..right rear, left rear, right front , left front..then repeate once( thats hwat id do just to make shure it is all blead out) and for a blead bottle i use a 1 liter water bottle..fill the bottle with brake fluid 1/3 of the way.. and use a clear vinel hose from the caliper blead screws to the bottle..

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I agree with Darren....i just took my brake calipers, brake regulator and DPWA apart and all the rubber seals have deteriorated so much that just touching these seals left a black residue on my hands. Most vintage automotive seals are made from Natural Rubber and cannot last indefinitely.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Brake Hose Replacement

You stated the car is a 78. That makes the hoses 30 years old if they are the originals! The dark color is indeed an indicator the hoses and seals in your braking system are deteriorating.

A rubber brake hose can look ok from the outside, but will have swollen on the inside reducing it's ability to flow. It also can lead to brakes seizing, often times misdiagnosed as a bad brake caliper.

Replace the hoses. Also inspect the lower face of the brake booster underneath the brake master cylinder. See any paint bubbling, staining, or dampness and it is time to do the master cylinder as well.

Use a high quality brake fluid such as Castrol GT-LMA or similar. DO NOT USE SILICONE FLUID UNLESS YOU CHANGE EVERY HYDRAULIC COMPONENT IN THE BRAKE SYSTEM. Conventional fluid and silicone do not mix, and it is impossible to flush the system free of conventional fluid entirely.

Flush your brake fluid annually, and your brakes will always perform for you. This will save you money in maintenance costs as well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brake Fluid

Thanks for the replies.
I did replace the hoses and flush the entire system with a pressure system. works great now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts