Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I understand that the engine bay, the boot, the underside, the suspension, and the dash are all black on 2000 Touring Spiders. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I assume the dash should be a flat black?

But what about the engine bay and boot? Semi, satin, or other?

Suspension I would assume is semi gloss, but not sure.

And what about the underside? In all the pictures I've seen it's painted black. Same for the wheel wells. And again, which black?

Thanks so much for the help!
Andy

:nerd:

·
Registered
236 Posts
The one I own has a low gloss black - more toward the satin side on the dash - definitely not flat.. The chassis appears as a standard semi-black. The bay, trunk and wheel wheels is a similar semi - to low gloss black. Time does take away the gloss, so it's hard to gauge correctly.

Mark

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
I can't speak to the dashboard on 102 cars, but on my 2600, Eastwood Underhood Black looks pretty good for the engine bay and Eastwood Chassis Black looks good for suspension, steering and drive train components. For the body (floor pans and wheel wells), I first used a rust-converting (etching) primer and then rubberized undercoating (see here) because, to me, preservation matters more than originality for a car that is meant to be driven.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't speak to the dashboard on 102 cars, but on my 2600, Eastwood Underhood Black looks pretty good for the engine bay and Eastwood Chassis Black looks good for suspension, steering and drive train components. For the body (floor pans and wheel wells), I first used a rust-converting (etching) primer and then rubberized undercoating (see here) because, to me, preservation matters more than originality for a car that is meant to be driven.
Thanks for the tips. Did you use the Underhood Black for the trunk too?

We definitely plan to drive it, so undercoating and rust protection are a must.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one I own has a low gloss black - more toward the satin side on the dash - definitely not flat.. The chassis appears as a standard semi-black. The bay, trunk and wheel wheels is a similar semi - to low gloss black. Time does take away the gloss, so it's hard to gauge correctly.

Mark
Low gloss black would make sense for the dash, you don't want it shiny and glaring, but you want it to look clean and nice.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Did you use the Underhood Black for the trunk too?
Again, I can't talk to 102 cars but on 106 cars, the trunk and inside of the trunk lid were lined with asphalt or rubberized undercoating and Cicognani rubber mats were glued to to inside of the trunk (except for trunk floor, so that spare wheel can be accessed).

·
Registered
812 Posts
I used Eastwood Underhood Black for both my engine bay and the trunk area of my 1961 102 Spider. I used Eastwood Chassis Black on the suspension parts. I veered from originality on my car (heaven forbid as AROC Chief Judge :surprise:) and did my dash in body color since I thought it looked better. If you want the black look go for a low gloss black since totally flat will look pretty severe and "cheap" (to my eye).

·
Registered
264 Posts
Agree w/Tubot. Inside of trunk is some type of undercoating (on the floor pan and underside of the trunk lid. Can't call it rubberized, but that stuff would do. Has a sheen to it thats not flat, not shiny, more like oily.

Underhood is up for grabs. Not flat for sure, but no too shiny. I'm experimenting with four different types of black right now to match whats already there. Personally, I think that a lot of thought goes into the type of finish (satin, eggshell, flat, gloss), but what strikes me about what I see in the uncovered sections with original finish (like when pulling off the panel that protects the hydraulic lines) is the "blackness" of the black. To my eye it seems like a darker black then what I've been able to source. Sounds dumb I know, but when I had my BMW M5 I got an education on the many shades of black (multiple shades of non-metallic black)

I can also say that the bodies must have been painted upside down as the drip marks (and there are a few underhood) all flow "up" for you concourse folks.

Footnote here: my cars been off the road since 1974 and so is very unmolested and pretty original in its finishes. Hope to have it back on the road in early May (at the latest?!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts