Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got my '74 back from the shop. The PO had done little maintenance, and when he sold me a "solid daily driver" turned out to be a "needs restoration". Two weeks into my ownership, the engine ate a piston and needed a complete rebuild. Well, it's back now, and runs great - still in break-in mode of course. As is my bank account!

Now I am faced with trying to undo all the mistakes and kludges of earlier owners. While most of the pieces are there, the thing that irritates me the most is the lack of original screws and fasteners on the car. Very few of the originals are left, so I'd like to find a source for stainless screws and some of the trim screws, etc. Anyone have ideas on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I just went to change brakes on a Jeep I bought a couple of years ago. I found the right front caliper, which is held in place by 2-8mm bolts, had one bolt completely missing and the other loose. Funny thing is there was no overt indication of it. Anyway, it turns out that the bolt that was missing had the threads stripped out of the steering knuckle. I had to drill it out and helicoil it.

Jeez. There's a lot jerks and idiots out there in previous owners land.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts