Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blibkers are dead, the whole circuit, fronts are out and the hazard button doesn't do anything. I checked the fusebox, there was one dead fuse, either three or four, witch I replaced with no luck. Any pointer would be hugely apreciated!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same issue here. '90 Spider, no turn signals or flashers.

Q: if the intermittant relay goes bad, will it kill power to the entire circuit?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
It's unusual for the blinker relay to go entirely bad, but not impossible. (generally it'll make one side not work, or come on and stick w/no flash. Fast flashing on one side with normal flashing on the other is usually a blown bulb on one side)

The turn signals and 4-way/hazard lights all feed through the same flasher relay, so yes, a failure there can cause everything to mess up.

First and formost though: check the bulbs, check the grounds at the light housings.

You can chase that flasher all day and it won't do a bit of good if there''s a broken wire or blown bulbs.

On the 78, it won't hurt a bit to remove and clean all the terminals and fuses (or ideally replace them regardless of whether they look intact or not) as intermittant contact is a comon thing as are fuses that seem intact but are as dead as Aunt Ginny's cat.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I had the same problem.
Step 1. Cleaned and ground all contatcts
Step 2. Replace all bulbs as insurance
Step 3. Clean all fuse contacts and replace fuses
Step 4. Replace the flasher unit with an aftermarket electronic version
Step 5. Relax and have a beer, problem fixed and no hassles for over 2 years now

·
Registered
519 Posts
usually up under the dash near the steering wheel. It should be a round silver cylinder with 2 or 3 spade connectors coming out of it.................

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see it. Is there a way to test it with a multimeter? Are there any consequences to using actual contact cleaner (Highly flamable) on the car? Thanks.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm not sure about testing, my rule is; " When in doubt, throw it out" An electronic one shouldnt be more than $5 - $10 bucks in the States?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've given bot the rear lights a light cleaning. It didn't seem to clean much off, I just used Isopropyl Alcohol to try and clean up the contacts. What would be the best method to clean and ground my blinkers? While testing I also noticed that it never clicks and the indicator light doesn't come on, I'm not sure what this could mean, I didn't have a wiring diagram, anybody know were I could get one online?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Replace the flasher unit
that's the first thing I would do. You can get a generic one at any local auto parts store for only a few dollars......if it's the flasher, you've saved yourself a ton of time, if not, you've only lost a few dollars

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to mention that I already had. I replaced it with a unit that was already opened in the store, it was probably a returned item. I'm pretty confident it works. Any way to test it?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Blinkers are dead

Also, I always use dielectic grease on all wire, plug, relay, bulb, etc. connections. It keeps out moisture and dirt; and it helps prevent bulbs from sticking in the socket.

D. Poole
'82 Spider
Chapel Hill, NC

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I've given bot the rear lights a light cleaning. It didn't seem to clean much off, I just used Isopropyl Alcohol to try and clean up the contacts. What would be the best method to clean and ground my blinkers? While testing I also noticed that it never clicks and the indicator light doesn't come on, I'm not sure what this could mean, I didn't have a wiring diagram, anybody know were I could get one online?
did you get this fixed yet? A correct wiring diagram is available from Papajam

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/electrical-diagrams/21571-available-wiring-diagrams.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts