Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The solenoid finally became too big of a problem to ignore on the '88 Quad. Started it at work and had to do the round-the-car sprint to yank the battery cable.

So, out came the old starter (Geez, that's light-weight!). I obtained an S2 starter from a friend and it tested strong with the jumper cables. I was looking forward to many more years of care-free cranking.

But, it's too big to make it past the induction/AC hoses/plenum. I know it will bolt up and work once I get it down there. Right number of teeth, etc. I simply can't get it past all the stuff.

Plan "B" is swap the solenoids. :confused: :confused:

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
John,

I sounds as if you are trying to install it from the top, it's much easier to do from under the car.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,

I sounds as if you are trying to install it from the top, it's much easier to do from under the car.
Accessed the bottom bolt from below. Even moving the steering around did not yield enough space to put "Big Bertha" in.

·
Registered
what part?
9,988 Posts
by now you have spent a lot of time trying to stuff that starter in,, if you just took of the intake manifold the first time you would be done.. 2 wrongs don't make a left:):)..so take off the intake manifold, not hard to do,, at most 1/2 hour,, stuff in starter.. re-mount intkae manifold:) oh yes,, before you do that remove the screw that hold the solenoild with allen screws..

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Btdt.

Replaced the runners and motor mounts last year, so would like to avoid removing the plenum again if I can.

If the solenoids will come loose, I may just swap them and put the smaller starter back in.....IDK.

Just ordered upper, lower, and by-pass hoses and Thermostat anyway.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If you get that big body starter in there you're gonna be disappointed when it grinds, which it will, because it's not the right one even with the same # of teeth on the bendix.
Been there, done that.

Swap solinoids if you can, otherwise get the correct starter motor.

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
I remove the w/w bottle and feed the starter down between the plenum and firewall.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bigger one won't slide past, even with the w/w bottle removed.

I'm leaning toward putting swapping the solenoids and putting the small starter back in.

I thought I read that the S2 starter works in an S3. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The local Autozone has this.

·
Registered
what part?
9,988 Posts
2:07 to 6:11 pm.. would it have been easyer to remove the plenum chamber at this point? just 4 hose clamps to the head, 2 heater hose clamps,, remove the cold start injector, 2 allen bolts, 2 13 mm bolts onder the chamber,pop off the trottle linkage at the bellcrank, and a few wires? at most 1/2 hour to remove these..1/2 hour to put back on....

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2:07 to 6:11 pm.. would it have been easyer to remove the plenum chamber at this point? just 4 hose clamps to the head, 2 heater hose clamps,, remove the cold start injector, 2 allen bolts, 2 13 mm bolts onder the chamber,pop off the trottle linkage at the bellcrank, and a few wires? at most 1/2 hour to remove these..1/2 hour to put back on....
.....and the bloody plenum support.

·
Registered
what part?
9,988 Posts
i have done this a few times on s3 spider,, you don't need to remove the support, you will have enogh room to get the starter in just with the plenum removed...9:30 pm here.. 7 hours?

·
Premium Member
14,523 Posts
I would be wary of installing that big starter in place of the small gear reduction type. You may end up with a broken bell housing if you don't install a support bracket. Try to get the correct starter - one for an 86-89 Spider. I got mine through Used Auto Parts - Used Car Parts

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have done this a few times on s3 spider,, you don't need to remove the support, you will have enogh room to get the starter in just with the plenum removed...9:30 pm here.. 7 hours?
Thanks for the time management tips. I have a day job, a family, and other cars to tend to.

The local Autozone says they have the replacement (re-man, no doubt). It's small, like the original. I'm going to try it.

Will report my findings.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sure, try the Autozone starter...BUT DO NOT TURN IN YOUR OLD STARTER FOR THE CORE CHARGE!!! Autozone, Kragen/O'Reilly, Pep Boys, NAPA, etc., etc. have all given me the wrong starter for my 74 spider. Other years like your '88 may not be a problem, but the major parts houses have bad information as to what fits which year. There are large bodies (too heavy for early spiders, wanna buy a new bellhousing?), 8 teeth/9teeth, different flywheel ring gears...lots of differences, and not clear information as to which starters fit which Spiders. Downside for getting it wrong? Well, things sounded fine to me for a while...then things go downhill; occasional horrendous crunching/clanging, then eventual near silence, as the starter whirs as the solenoid gears spin looking to engage with missing ring gear teeth on the flywheel. This happened to me, so I say HAVE YOUR OLD STARTER REBUILT! That is the only way you can be sure you will have a compatible starter, as long as you insist on relying on the Autozones of the world for your parts. If you're putting parts on a Ford F150, fine, trust the chain stores...for your Alfa, please be careful...

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sure, try the Autozone starter...BUT DO NOT TURN IN YOUR OLD STARTER FOR THE CORE CHARGE!!! Autozone, Kragen/O'Reilly, Pep Boys, NAPA, etc., etc. have all given me the wrong starter for my 74 spider. Other years like your '88 may not be a problem, but the major parts houses have bad information as to what fits which year. There are large bodies (too heavy for early spiders, wanna buy a new bellhousing?), 8 teeth/9teeth, different flywheel ring gears...lots of differences, and not clear information as to which starters fit which Spiders. Downside for getting it wrong? Well, things sounded fine to me for a while...then things go downhill; occasional horrendous crunching/clanging, then eventual near silence, as the starter whirs as the solenoid gears spin looking to engage with missing ring gear teeth on the flywheel. This happened to me, so I say HAVE YOUR OLD STARTER REBUILT! That is the only way you can be sure you will have a compatible starter, as long as you insist on relying on the Autozones of the world for your parts. If you're putting parts on a Ford F150, fine, trust the chain stores...for your Alfa, please be careful...
farklevill, you make a good point. For the cost of the core charge I will probably keep the old unit. Since the issue with the current (little joke there :D) starter is the solenoid, I can replace the solenoid and have a serviceable unit on the shelf. Or have the entire unit rebuilt.

As for the Autozone replacement: I will verify the number of teeth and the length of stroke of the pinion gear.

The replacement will be in tomorrow, so removed the plenum yesterday, while it was 65 degrees and sunny.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Found a Bosch Solenoid....

...installed and working like a champ.

Returned the AutoZone starter for a full refund.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts