Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Major project creep starting with alternator replacement on my '79 Alfetta. Ended up doing lots of other things, including replacing the filter element in the main fuel filter. My new one came with three big gaskets, one of which I thought must be an extra. Went to start the car and am getting a massive fuel leak at the filter when the pump comes on. Wondering if the third gasket (pictured) was supposed to go somewhere?

My fuel filter bowl (dark blue hard plastic) does not fully seal between its two sides, but that seemed to be the case before I replaced the element and I had no leak. It also seems the bowl is not designed to hold fluid anyway.

I'll take it apart and reassemble tomorrow, but in the meantime welcome any tips about what I might have messed up.

·
Registered
427 Posts
One ring goes on top, one ring goes on the bottom, inside the bowl. If I recall correctly there should also be a third smaller ring that goes elsewhere in the assembly. I'll take a look at mine and see what's up with the seals. I replaced mine months ago, and I've forgotten how it goes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I took it apart and reassembled it and still got a massive leak when the pump came on. Then I took it apart again and looked under the lid and realized there is another dime-sized o-ring around the tube in the lid that the bolt runs through. That o-ring was damaged. Once replaced, the filter seems to be working now with no leaks.

When dis-assembling this morning I also noticed the three big gaskets supplied with the filter are not exactly the same size. One fits more securely than the other two in the base groove of the housing. I think the other two were interchangeable as the top gasket. Including pics of all this in case useful for someone later. So it appears that the Baldwin replacement element comes with the tiny o-ring, which goes on TOP of the lid just under the head of the center bolt you remove to get the filter out; the dime-sized o-ring, which goes underneath the lid around the shaft the bolt passes through; and three big gaskets: one for groove in the bottom cup of the filter holder, one for the top, and one spare for the top.

IMG_4156.jpg

·
Registered
1976 Alfetta GT, 2018 Giulia Sport
1,756 Posts
I just opened a Baldwin Fuel filter box. Yep, 3 large O rings and the small one for the top.
I changed mine out recently, that box had the same 3 large O rings. Since I only removed 2 big ones I just put 2 new ones that matched sizes back in, plus the small one up top. No problems. The 3rd xtra one went in the trash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts