Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've just finished a major service on my 81 GTV6. It ran fine before, I installed timing belt, cap, rotor, wires, vac hoses, water pump etc.

Went to start it, and I have *nothing*. So I went and had the battery checked out and it is fine. There is 12v at the firewall at the large terminals.

I have a spare combo relay and tossed that in.. but still nothing.

Strangely, I have power at the fuse box for the fuses 1-5, on the left, but nothing on the right.. until I turn the ignition key to the run position.

No headlights, no engine cranking, no nothing.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, a quick continuity check on the ignition switch says there is continuity from the red to the black and green on "start", and to the brown on "run".

So what's next?

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Big engine ground at front of engine hooked up?

Coil wires hooked up wrong?

Check all engine and engine bay grounds, and the one behind the engine on the head...

little wire on starter solenoid removed? check to see if there is power to this lead..

go over each bit of the harness because you must have changed/bumped something in the engine bay....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm beginning to think I have a relay issue. Why else would the power go away when I turn on the ignition?

I also found a loose wire behind my fuse box.. it's blue/black stripe. Strangely, it has a tag on it.. but it doesn't look like the factory tagged it, and it's just loose behind the fuse box. There are a few places it could go. But I have a Milano factory manual, so I am having a hard time decoding the factory wiring.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
When this same thing happened to me it was a grounding problem at the battery. Double check all your "major" grounds.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the grounds on the battery, the engine to front core support, the leads on the right valve cover, and the cluster of black wires next to the fuse box.

Am I missing any?

Like I said earlier, it's odd that the voltage drops to zero on many circuits when I turn the key to "ignition". I was thinking if it was a bad ground it should drop.. a lot.. but not to zero unless there was a major wiring failure.

Is there such a thing as a main power relay? I know those are common on BMWs, but I don't know if Alfa employs these.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I found it. So the symptoms were a little puzzling.. but eventually I realized that the loss of power because of the key being turned on was because of a really poor connection. Like a ground.

But in this case, it was a power distribution block on the front left of the engine compartment. You could see the block was a little melted because of resistance.

Thanks for the help guys. It's nice knowing there are people who are standing next to you when you have a car that isn't exactly mainstream!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts