Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this one was new (to me any way...)

I am not one of those whacked-out conspiracy-theorists who believes that there are aliens living underneath Area-51 or anything like that and then again, I do believe that we are being led to the slaughter like lambs... Politically I am somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun, so feel free to ignore this!

Any way, I haven't hung around in bars much lately, (so no wonder that this one passed by me unnoticed...) I stopped in at one of those snooty pool-halls on Friday night - you guys know the one? Where they serve 7 dollar beers and look at you funny if you don't tell them to keep the change form a 10...

Any way, popped in - given that I have been "reinserted in to the matrix" recently - and there at the front is some huge ****ing ape asking for my driver's license! Well, I am 38, look 48 and I feel 58, so ***!? But, no problem - until I notice that he is about to swipe it through a desk-top setup consisting of a Palm Pilot in some cradle/base with a LAN-connection!

So, being the NON-conformist that I am, I enquire a bit...

Nope - he says - we're checking for valid IDs...! Oh yeah, checking with whom? Well, to see if the ID is good or if it is a fake... Well, I gathered that much Met-Rx brains - I am asking WITH WHOM are you checking!? Oh - uh - dunno - probably the DMV or the local PD, or somebody... Dunno dude- just doing my job...

It weirded me out to know that some governmental agency now has record of where I was, what time I got there, who was visiting right ahead of me and right behind me etc etc etc!

Didn't like it ONE bit.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yeah, there are a few places down here that have them... the idea being that if you get in a fight etc and get banned, the software picks it up next time you try to visit...

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
hmm proof you were drinking if pulled over too

the good news is if the establishment gets bombed they will have on record who was inside

i prefer to ponder the stranger side of things...as i await the days in wich cars will pass computer virus's and be able to be hacked into and shut down...the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH IS COMMING!..to a freeway neer you

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
here in Kansas, the snot nosed kid at wallyworld has to have two forms of id to give out fishing liscenses, supposedly to catch deadbeat dads. no one ever said what the kid is supposed to do if they catch one.
cliff

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
So...what happens if you are visiting from another State? Another country? Do they have a way to swipe those IDs? What if they can't? Do they not let you in? That is WAAAAAAAAAY over the top, IMHO!

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I stopped in at one of those snooty pool-halls on Friday night - you guys know the one? Where they serve 7 dollar beers and look at you funny if you don't tell them to keep the change form a 10...
For 7 bucks, I'll buy a 12 pack of Genny Ale, drink it at home and not worry about having to :rolleyes:"prove myself" to some young blonde chippy.

Just before I gave up on bars.

:) After all, I drive an Alfa - why do I have to prove anything.

·
Registered
776 Posts
It may just be an OCR reader. In other words, it records alphanumeric info from your license to maintain a record of who visited when. I doubt that they are checking the validity of the license....but it would make sense to tell people that anyway.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
It may just be an OCR reader. In other words, it records alphanumeric info from your license to maintain a record of who visited when. I doubt that they are checking the validity of the license....but it would make sense to tell people that anyway.
Shades of 1984????? I can't tell you the last time I was in a bar that was not connected to a restaurant, waiting for a table; but, another good reason to stay out of them....I have several others already, this is just piling on.

On a side note, I was ID'd until I was 28 at restaurants, markets, etc.; then I married Pat and I was seldom if ever ID'd with one exception, there was a new checker at the Ralph's where I always shop and I was restocking the liquor cabinet so I had a wide variety of liquor; she asks me for my ID, mind you I have three children with me, 10, 5, and an infant. Gee, do you think I might have been 21? I wonder what planet this girl just landed from? Did I go out and borrow three children to buy liquor?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
here in Kansas, the snot nosed kid at wallyworld has to have two forms of id to give out fishing liscenses, supposedly to catch deadbeat dads. no one ever said what the kid is supposed to do if they catch one.
cliff
I would recommend deep-fat frying for most of those fish you have in Kansas. Up here, I prefer smoking 'em on the grille, basted in butter and dill.:D

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I like garlic and olive oil on the grill, just not too many fish to catch, lots of deadbeat dads tho, they dont grill well.
cliff

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
It weirded me out to know that some governmental agency now has record of where I was, what time I got there, who was visiting right ahead of me and right behind me etc etc etc!
Hakuna matata, JJ
You WERE carrying your cell phone, right? "They" can follow you with that signal, so you don't need to worry about "them" tracing your location via driver's licence.

ps - You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you.;)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
You WERE carrying your cell phone, right? "They" can follow you with that signal,
Not if you wrap the phone twice over with Aluminum foil. It acts as an antireflectivity device per Mythbusters.:)

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Not if you wrap the phone twice over with Aluminum foil. It acts as an antireflectivity device per Mythbusters.:)
Can you hear me now?

Can you hear me now?

Can you hear me now?

How about now?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hmmm, wonder how he knows if fake. I mean its just a mag strip on a card right. Heck, maybe hes cranking out fake ids :)

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, he swiped the strip that most State IDs have now and said that they run it against some gov. database... He also extended it underneath a "blue" light to show the hidden Sate of Washington Seal on it and typed in some 2-digit code on their system!

I'm with Greg.

Read "Hope of the Wicked" ;)

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I'm with Greg.

Read "Hope of the Wicked" ;)
JJ -
It's been going on for years (since 1984 and before) ;)
So why are you just now getting paranoid?
Again I say, you're not paranoid, if they really are out to get you.
(You ain't one of them illegal-type-aliens, are ya?):eek:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Didnt the Nazis have a national id database they used to round up whole families with? Doesnt the prez say he has authority to whisk away anyone HE deems a threat? Didnt ATT just give homeland goons access to 100% of their network backbone data traffic? Gee I feel so safe now.... not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts