Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a suggestion on how to best transport a road bike with a S3 ('86) spider graduate? There does not seem to be much on this topic, but I'm guessing there must be cyclists among Alfa Spider enthusiasts. Anybody know of a bike rack that works (reasonably) well w/o requiring major installation?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know there are luggage racks you can get for an S3, but that wouldn't work well. Maybe a custom made Class I trailer hitch with bike rack? I once saw a Jaguar XK-140 pulling a trailer, so I guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Fledermaus: yeah, luggage rack + standard bike rack mounted on luggage rack could work but sounds flimsy. Trailer hitch on S3...mhhhh...that sounds like an oxymoron!

Don't think there is an obvious solution but maybe somebody out there is transporting their bike in a spider...but how they do it?!?!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Trailer hitch on S3...mhhhh...that sounds like an oxymoron!
Yeah, I agree! But I've got a Fiat 500 (new version) I'm considering putting a hitch on, but that's another story. If you take the front wheel off the bike, turn the handle bars sideways to be parallel with the frame, maybe it would squeeze onto the rear parcel shelf? I might be way off in my spacial thinking here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, parcel shelf is definitely an option...in fact, you can take both wheels off (easy), store the bike in a bike bag, and that would easily fit in the parcel shelf, particularly with the top down (good weather assumed since one is going cycling)....still wondering if anybody found a creative solution using bike rack(s).

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
found this photo.....not elegant but I suppose it works ;)
bike rack.jpg

this is more like it:)
giro.jpg

the fiat boys mention the "seasucker bike rack".....held to the trunk by big (expensive!) vacuum suckers ...but our alfa trunks are made out of sardine cans, so not sure how stable it is....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that spiderserie4...good point about alfa trunks being like sardine cans and thanks for the photos. My vision was a little bit like what you have on the model-car picture, but I think that is a pipe dream. At this point it appears that the best option is to actually take off both wheels store the bike a bike-bag and then use the parcel shelf with the top down for transport. Of course, my parcel shelf needs a remake, so for now, I may just have to skip the Alfa if I want to transport my bike.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I play ice hockey in the summer at a local arena, and the equipment bag takes up the entire passenger side, and the sticks stick out above the parcel shelf into the air like aerial rudders. The things we do to enjoy our Alfas!

·
Registered
27 Posts
@fledermaus I used to do that in an Aston Martin. It was fun, but honestly I worried more about the car sitting at the rink than anything else. Oh, and the smell wasn't that nice in the car afterwards either.

@mthiele Look at the Seasucker brand of mounts They're pretty nifty and fit a wide variety of vehicles. On my DD, I use a 1UPUSA, which is an amazing rack but indeed needs a baby hitch to work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts