11,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #823 · (Edited)
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:(y)...but i could afFORD the car...lol

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #824 · (Edited)
ok, tunnel getting done..... need a diff peice of sheet metal for the sides of the tunnel, they will exchange for me on monday.... i drilled holes in the sheet metal parts, to plug weld them... and one thing i have learned doing this...... YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH SHARPEYS........and exhausting work, and yet after meausring 3 times,. i still messed up
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Paint Automotive exterior
Brown Textile Handwriting Wood Line
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper

·
Administrator
15,479 Posts
Connect your new tunnel to the right places and you will effectively added a backbone chassis to your Spider (that size RHS was all that my last club car's chassis was made out of. Might have been slightly bigger ... ?). I wonder how this would affect overall chassis stiffness ...

But feeding the loads out to the suspension points would be difficult, especially as the bulkheads on these things are not that thick sheet metal wise
Pete

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #827 ·
1/2 inch 13 mm sqaure steel tubing , might pop rivet some extra steel to the fire wall where i can.. welding in such tight areas is hard.. and welding this alfa sheet steel is not, easy, even at low power,, still blow holes in the oem steel....i have a section of a dead spider floor and firewall i practiced one,, tryed all kinds of setting,, too easy to blow holes in the steel.. and i always clean the metal i will be welding and the ground point to shiney steel

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #828 ·
a little more work.. can adjust the angle
Textile Pink Red Rectangle Flooring
Pink Rectangle Magenta Material property Tints and shades

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #829 ·
fixed
Automotive lighting Vehicle Wood Material property Flooring

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #830 · (Edited)
and with a coat of clear epoxy over the alfa romeo badge 15 min epoxy..i did smooth it out
Wood Rectangle Bumper Tire Automotive exterior
Hood Guitar accessory Motor vehicle Font Emblem

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #831 ·
plan to plug weld the sheet steel to the birdcage. then pop rivet the sheet steel to the oem sheet steel.... welding,, even spot welding steel to to the body...is messythe sheet steel around the frame is just a cover..

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #832 ·
i am using my CAD system for making parts....... CARDBOARD AIDED DESIGN ... thank alfavulcan for that

·
Administrator
15,479 Posts
You're still using gasless MIG aren't you. I tried to use that on my GTV once, on a rear guard, blew a huge hole ...

The only thing I have successfully welded gasless was my now sister's MGB's exhaust, but the weld looked like dog poo
Pete

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #834 ·
..yes..PSK gassless.. can you forgive me? i can weld very nice lines on most steel, and after a few tack welds.. nice running beads on exhaust tubing... the trick there it to have no gaps

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #836 ·
the alfa steel does not like the heat...not enough... not a good bond.. a little to much.. burn thru..its a very small window in time and heat to get it right

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
the alfa steel does not like the heat...not enough... not a good bond.. a little to much.. burn thru..its a very small window in time and heat to get it right
Like PSK said, it sounds like it may be a limitation of the welding equipment. MIG with gas or TIG might give you better results.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
A small light duty 110v mig welder w/ gas makes thinner metal much easier. I use a small Lincoln handy mig for 90% of my car welding
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #840 ·
thanks ....

821 - 840 of 891 Posts