Alfa Romeo Forums banner

bianchi2 ecotec conversion

108K views 1K replies 63 participants last post by  bianchi2 
#1 ·
Just designed the interface between the Alfa belhousing and the ecotec block,next get the motor

#5 ·
Are you going with an Alfa transmission or just the bellhousing? Would seem odd to swap the motor and not the transmission.

Why use the 2.2 L61 ecotec instead of the much more powerful 2.0 LNF or LDK?

#6 ·
The 2.2 is Easter to find,a d cheaper,you can get 180-185 hp out of it easy,but most importantly. The torque is far far better than the Alfa Romeo. Motor,no less than 120 ft/lbs from 1000-6500 rpmc,can be updated. To 165 ft/lbs also ,much. Better than stock,I already run the t5 transmission in my car,this will go into my spider

#13 ·
when is a alfa motor the same as a alfa motor

when they are the same motor, some of you folks are ' deniers ' but the motor in a ecotec gm car is the same as the alfa romeo 2.2 , water pump, chain drive ALL THE GASKETS, cam phashers( later models..but I think I could put some of your noses on top of the motor, and you still would not say they are the same motor,,sad..

Attachments

#14 ·
I am waiting.................................. alfa romeo( fiat,, codesigned the motor with gm( opel Europe) and the head is a lotus design..)why can you not belive this
? hard to understand why not, unless you think that alfa romeo motors are mystical motor built by unicorns, and elfs..alfa romeo is in dire times,, they could not develop a motor by themselves in the ealry / late 2000..

#23 · (Edited)
ecotec

I was unaware of the design history with the Ecotec, but immediately understood it to be a good choice for a "modern alternative" engine to go into an Alfa (I was thinking anything 105).

In fact, it is becoming a popular choice also into Datsun 510's - at least among the normally-aspirated fans.

"why not go big" is always a good question, but "why go too big" is also a question worth asking, because suitable braking capabilities (at the very least!) must accompany power increases.

Anyway, the reason I understood why an Ecotec engine might be a candidate had to do with
-1. Availability (in the US there are many models that used this engine, and the associated parts availability. The Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky even used (the 2.4 N/A and the 2.0turbo version) in RWD form. The Sky and Solstic aren't made anymore but there are multiple GM vehicles that have used the Ecotec through it's generations - even up to some of the latest direct-injected versions with impressive hp and mpg.
-2. Aesthetics - the DOHC and overall design (as pictured in previous post by the OP) is somewhat reminiscent of early Alfa engines (Nord) -albeit with the intake and exhaust sides inverted.
-3. Design. It comes in 2.0 turbo, 2.2 and 2.4 N/A versions (+others?) yet is a very compact package. The lost-foam casting Aluminum block allows for an impressively lightweight 4 cyl for it's displacement. VVT helps with low-end torque, and for those interested in electronic tuning, EFI-live and other aftermarket companies offer support, and of course there's a large community of enthusiasts already experienced with them. In that era of engine, it seems as is the Ecotec and Ford's Zetec from a few years earlier seemed to be the domestic compact I-4's of choice for kit cars and ground-up builds like the lotus 7-"type" builds. In an earlier Datsun 510, I did a build with parts within THAT manufacturing family and accomplished around twice the original HP and TQ with good drivability, but that was 10 years ago and parts are getting hard to find. I imagine there are some parallels with folks doing twinspark conversions. There's no question that it's a BIG DEAL going with a drivetrain bearing another mfr.'s badge, and regardless of that being "appropriate " or not, the size, weight, stock power levels, wide availability, and fuel efficiency of the Ecotec made it MY choice also to power the next Small RWD car build.

#24 ·
"why not go big" is always a good question, but "why go too big" is also a question worth asking, because suitable braking capabilities (at the very least!) must accompany power increases.
The stock brakes are perfectly adequate for street driving and additional power. Additional power on the street isn't going to add much to the braking load. You are still stopping from the same speeds (unless you are really disregarding the laws)- you are just getting to those speeds faster. Compared to 60s muscle cars that had 300+ hp on 4 wheel drums, our Alfas are paragons of braking prowess. If you are going to the track, you probably have already addressed your brakes before the power situation.

Bianchi is already running a T5 transmission and custom driveshaft, so he doesn't have to worry about driveshaft or clutch power handling issues.

#28 ·
I cannot understand any car enthusiast getting excited about a GM engine.

GM make appliances, and yes FIAT/Alfa Romeo were involved but accountants were pulling the strings.
Pete
Sure the small block Chevy is okay, but the rest are designed to get bored people from a to b with no fun whatsoever ... it's more than the numbers.

And yes I am aware that Americans might have a different view of General Motors than somebody who grew up in New Zealand, but to me they are **** and always will be.

Enjoy your project.

#29 ·
Is there a story, thread, parts breakdown for what you've done caliper wise there.. Just out of interest.

If I was going recent "Alfa" engine transplant I'd be buying in a dead Giulietta 1750 TBi QV engine and ECU gubbins from the UK/EU... Unlikely to be any dead 4C as yet I imagine :)

That said, interested to see how this pans out, comes together. Keep tinkering :)

#35 ·
Truth be told, despite the fact that (or perhaps because) I've lived most of my life in the motor city I don't own an American car myself. Not that I don't like what they are building today but I just like other brands more right now.

American cars surely deserved the rap they received for the crap they put out in the past. And there are still plenty of appliances designed and sold yet today. But there are some pretty impressive examples as well. It's a good time to be a car enthusiast...