Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Is anyone running BF Goodrich Advantage T/A on their 105/115 in the 185/70/14 profile?

I would really like to hear your feedback, esp during spirited driving. I'm looking at either these, Yokohamas or Goodyear Assurance, but the T/A seems to be the sportiest of the lot.

Thanks!

S

·
Registered
165 Posts
i'm just about to go buy them for my car, was between these and the michelin energy but the BF are around $40 cheaper per tire.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
For a good check of performance potential check the "Tread Wear" rating number on the side of the tire. While there are other considerations, generally the lower the rating, the softer the tire, and the greater the grip - with corresponding less tread life. As a rough guide, for the "Street" autocross classes, the Sports Car Club of America requires tires with a minimum 200 tread wear rating. Here's a good resource for tire information: https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/homepage.html

·
Registered
165 Posts
So got the brand new 2019 BF Goodrich Advantage installed a few hours ago (The tire thread has been updated). 185/70 R14. The previous owner of my Alfa had Michelin Energy tires installed but one tire was a 2002 model, and the rest were 2006 and 2007. One tire was even installed the wrong way round. PLUS, even though the tires were tubeless the previous owner had tubes installed.

I ended up going with the BF over the Michelin because of price. My local dealer was selling the Advantage for $65 and the Energy for $95. Advantage had better reviews online so it was a no brainer.

The tires look good and although I would have preferred to have gone with a European brand to match the car right now I'm happy with these tires. Honestly, any tires would have been better than the old cracked ones that were on the car before.

·
Registered
165 Posts
For a good check of performance potential check the "Tread Wear" rating number on the side of the tire. While there are other considerations, generally the lower the rating, the softer the tire, and the greater the grip - with corresponding less tread life. As a rough guide, for the "Street" autocross classes, the Sports Car Club of America requires tires with a minimum 200 tread wear rating. Here's a good resource for tire information: https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/homepage.html
The ones I got are rated 88H

881,235lbs560kg

H130 mph210 km/hSport Sedans & Coupes

·
Registered
165 Posts
I can't seem to find it on the US BF Goodrich website but I found it on the Australian one so not sure if it's available in the US. But here is a product page I found

Vehicle Type: Passenger
Performance Category: Touring
Brand: BFGoodrich
Pattern: ADVANTAGE T/A DRIVE
Size: 185/70R14 88H
Load Index: 88
Speed Index: H
Product Code: 424462

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
My wife has Advantage TA's on her Toyota Highlander and the tread wear rating is 740.
88H means something else.

having said that, I think that you have to take these numbers with more than a grain of salt. I had a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE71R on my GTV6 with a tread wear rating of 200 and they were worn out in under 2000 miles. They are closer to 20 than 200 and they stick like glue to the pavement.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Mark, here's the BFG website BFGoodrich Tire Traction, Temperature, Treadwear Ratings

I don't see a a BFG TA Drive, but a "H/V" rated is 560 treadwear

Ed, a long time ago a BFG rep told me that the federally required tire ratings are established by the individual manufacturers instead of government testing. When the SCCA established the 200 treadwear minimum a certain Bridgestone tire previously rated at around 150 magically became 200 the next year (!)

My wife has Advantage TA's on her Toyota Highlander and the tread wear rating is 740.
88H means something else.

having said that, I think that you have to take these numbers with more than a grain of salt. I had a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE71R on my GTV6 with a tread wear rating of 200 and they were worn out in under 2000 miles. They are closer to 20 than 200 and they stick like glue to the pavement.

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
150 was optimistic :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts