Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,886 Posts
But, show me a car whose engine was harmed by a Fram filter (one that had reasonable oil/filter changes).
They're notorious for leaky anti-drainback valves. There's been at least one guy on the BB who had a cold-start rattle from low oil pressure that was fixed by switching to a different filter. That sure ain't good for your engine.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
We had a similar thread maybe about ten years ago with pretty much the same results, but was a photo essay rather than a video. Had a bunch of guys respond they'd used Fram for years without problems. But it's not like there's a heckuva lot of price difference between brands, so why would anyone, knowing what's inside the can, choose to continue buying Fram?

·
Premium Member
13,177 Posts
Haven't used Fram for decades. But, show me a car whose engine was harmed by a Fram filter (one that had reasonable oil/filter changes).
The engine in my Spider was destroyed when the gasket of the Fram filter blew out while my daughter was driving it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Same thing on numerous Jeep forums. Fram comes apart inside, anti-drainback valve fails, folks complain of sudden low oil pressure after doing an oil and filter change using Fram. Swap to another filter and all is well.

They mighta been good in the olden days, but not any more. For cars anyway.

F.R.A.M. means Forever Ruining Auto Motors.

Fram filters do have their place.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Aren't those orange filters on Ferarri engines made by Fram? I used them many years ago-never had a filter related engine problem. My 356 hillcimb car did throw a rod with an Fram filter in place, but the engine was abused.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Aren't those orange filters on Ferarri engines made by Fram? I used them many years ago-never had a filter related engine problem. My 356 hillcimb car did throw a rod with an Fram filter in place, but the engine was abused.
Chas, the problem is what they are NOW. Junk/time bombs/ marketing scam.

Did you watch the video? If not, I suggest you do.

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Chas, the problem is what they are NOW. Junk/time bombs/ marketing scam.

Did you watch the video? If not, I suggest you do.
Of course I watched the video. Fram's had a bad rep for many years. Have Ferarri owners stopped changing filters-or do they use Wix filters painted orange?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Of course I watched the video. Fram's had a bad rep for many years. Have Ferarri owners stopped changing filters-or do they use Wix filters painted orange?
I don't know. The ones you see on the Ferraris, do they have the grippy black stuff on them?

Or, is there a European filter supplier with orange filters?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't know. The ones you see on the Ferraris, do they have the grippy black stuff on them?

Or, is there a European filter supplier with orange filters?
I don't know if all Fram filters have that grip stuff. The filters I have seen are Fram, and I think the orange color is a trademark. I thought about this awhile back, long before that video was made.
There are some blogs discussing the subject. Here's one from 2011, so the Fram issue isn't new.
https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/fram-oil-filters.334723/
BTW, the filters are not the same on 2 filter engines. One is a full flow filter the other is a bypass filter.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I don't know if all Fram filters have that grip stuff. The filters I have seen are Fram, and I think the orange color is a trademark. I thought about this awhile back, long before that video was made.
Fram used to be big in Europe. Maybe they're going for originality?

Or maybe not all have the "grippy"?

I don't know. I avoid them.

If I had a Ferrari, I'd paint a Wix filter orange.

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,886 Posts
Fram used to be big in Europe. Maybe they're going for originality?
Yeah, they used to be OEM on Ferraris in the 60s, apparently, and some folks are still using them to be "original" despite the fact that the filter is a completely different (and crappy) internal design now. It's kind of nuts, IMO.

This is why I don't hang with the Ferrari guys. Also I'm not rich, but it's mostly the filter thing.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yeah, they used to be OEM on Ferraris in the 60s, apparently, and some folks are still using them to be "original" despite the fact that the filter is a completely different (and crappy) internal design now. It's kind of nuts, IMO.

This is why I don't hang with the Ferrari guys. Also I'm not rich, but it's mostly the filter thing.
Same here. They've been begging me to hang with them.

I say "No way!! Not with the orange filter on your car."

1 - 20 of 63 Posts