Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know..I recently bought a 1983 GTV6. The engine in the car had a broken piston, and the seller had a "rebuilt" motor to replace it. So today I was out in the garage installing a new water pump, timing belt, and setting valve clearances. Seems the intakes were ok, the exhaust a bit out. Earlier, I had heard a noise as I first turned the engine with the new timing belt installed.......mmmmmm...what the heck was that?
After all the valves were set...and double checked...I rotated the engine a few more times..just for the fun of it...timing marks coming up PERFECT every time, then..........it stops. SOMETHING stopped the crank from me turning it. Well crap....what else can it be but something hitting a piston? Off comes the left head........nothing...off comes the right head.....nothing? Then I spot it...a small 3/8 washer on #1 piston.
When I had bought this car, this rebuilt engine was covered, but not "sealed" up. Apparently, this washer fell in during sometime before I took delivery.
In retrospect, it was a blessing, because most of the head nuts had NOT bend oiled or properly torqued. Two of of the nuts had damaged threads, and were way off spec. I am sure.
Really, I am grateful of this discovery. It really saved me from some "first time starting up a new engine" embarrassment.
................On the other hand....who knows what the future holds!!!
Beware of rebuilt engines...."ready to go"
Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,637 Posts
_________yep__________

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Cool,,,,You are one of the rare,"Let's pull a head and see what's up" kind of Alfisti. An enthusiast with a good mechanical sense.
Most would have said, "what the *&%", and taken it to a "mechanic", and been screwed, or at the very least, charged a lot.
Good on you, you qualify as a Worthy GTV6 owner. And most people know I am a bit picky about that...

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Funny enough I bought a project car with the engine rebuilt and the head and gasket were sitting loosely on top. I looked underneath and thought cool all new pistons and liners when I saw the blue dots on top of the pistons. I put the engine together and tried to start it and had no compression in #2 cylinder. It ran rough with low power. I eventually slid a feeler guage to check on the rings. After pulling the engine and #2 piston I found no rings on the piston. I wondered what the guy had been smoking!!!

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,637 Posts
Definitly not your fathers stash. That new stuff is radical or so I'm told.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts