Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've often thought that a lot of good information is missed by a large number of DIY guys because
there is (often) not enough information in the header to let the guys just scanning the topics to
learn something or give much needed input. This is even more critical for someone doing a search to
get help on a problem. The thinking may be the use of these obscure / cute headings will get more attention.
But I'm thinking that the guys with real knowledge and can help out the OP will ignore these.
(I'm not picking on some, I'm just saying.)

Here are just a few I came across : 105 series etc ... new ooze ... jmynix ... There's your problem lady

Also, quite often a question is asked but there is no information as to what the engine, model, year, etc is. The OP would get more help if this is added to the submission.

Show Full Signature

(L

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
If by 'header' you mean thread title, we don't much say over that. The person that posts it chooses the thread title.

It is often suggested that including the specifics of the car under discussion is a Good Idea but, again, not something we can control - just suggest.

·
Administrator
12,590 Posts
Searching is the answer to finding relevant things

Pete

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ghnl: I'm not looking for more "control", we have enough of that around here. Just when things start to get interesting and entertaining, (and yes some of us come here to be entertained) the thread is closed..??..
I'm just making a suggestion to get more useful information to the masses.

When we lost seeing the full signature of the OPer without additional keystrokes we lost seeing the car list which was helpful in answering the question. (Not always but most times)

PSK: The next time I want to read about cracked heads (the aluminum heads) I'll do a search on "your problem lady". Oddly enough, I might get lucky this time. :p

If anyone is open to a discussion as to why the Global Warming thread was closed I think it would be useful. I found it interesting to see how my own view of certain members were altered when viewed from a totally (nonAlfa) topic.

·
Administrator
12,590 Posts
Samakijoe, you can search the contents of a thread not just the title, so yes search for "cracked heads" and you will be pointed to the "you problem lady" thread.

The Global Warming thread was closed because it really is a religion versus science thread now, and we all know that religion cannot be challenged.
Pete

·
Administrator
12,590 Posts
Here Samakijoe, referring to the attached screen shot, you have to tick the box to force the search to search titles (headers) only, so the default search is to search through the contents so we could call threads "This is just a random thread", or "Fred Flinstone". All modern software is moving us to review content not titles (Confluence for example), so again search is what they want you to do if you are looking for a solution for an issue:

Best
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I will point out (as the OP in the thread that seems to be the trigger) that the post was neither a question/request for help nor a how to but was, as plainly written, a "thank you" to the individual who did the work while showing the process and outcome of his work. And, in the rare case you do not know who Jim Steck of AutoComponenti is and the quality of his work, I am certain that after reading the post you will!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"religion" has never been open to a conversation with "science".

It has been said that "Cult plus time equals religion"

PS: I do know how to us the search system on this site.

·
Administrator
12,590 Posts
Love the "Cult + Time = Religion" formula :)

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts