Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
nice work. I thought about turbo charging my my ecotec conversion, I have replace the rods with eagle rods and forged pistons. even have a turbo and manifold off a saab 9.3 ( same engine as ecotec.., just if I need more than 200-220 hp.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Went by the paint shop to see the progress to-date. The good news is that my painter hasn't found any significant rust or crazy amounts of filler as he's started sanding down the body. Evidently, the car has been repainted at least twice before based on the layers of paint. Having been more used to painting American cars, he was very impressed with the design and quality of the Alfa body.

I've specified that this is more of a race car, and a show car paint job is not required, so some of the work will reflect that. However, he's also trying to make it look "nice" to someone who isn't a concours judge. Should be done in the next week or two, as he is down to just the Alfa in the shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
How about an update? Is the car back from paint jail??? What's left to do?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
It’s still in paint jail. My painter has pushed back the delivery date several times. He keeps finding little things to fix like dents on the underside of the hood. I’d rather him be a perfectionist, but I am missing my car!

I’ve started putting he bottom end together- have the crank installed, but I’m waiting on new lock tabs (easy to forget single use items). I’m also still waiting on the head- it’s been “two weeks” away since January.

Finally, my work time is severely limited by having a 6 week old daughter and a 2 year old son. Process will be slow, but it’s coming along little by little.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Paint has been sprayed. Just waiting on the bumpers, some buffing/sanding, and reassembly. In other good news, the head is done and I should be getting it next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
It has been far too long since the last update. Between my last post and this, I ended up buying a new house! Wasn't in the market, but the stars aligned. The Alfa is getting a new home, and the new garage has enough headroom for a lift! Unfortunately the new house is one more project to attend to before I can devote my attention to cars, but as of last Friday, the spider is now out of the shop and home! It was a jailbreak from paint jail. No longer 80s gold, the car is now Alfa Biancospino White.

As often happens, the paint took a lot longer than it should have. The final job looks nice, but there are still a few flaws that don't show well in photos. The trunk will need to be resprayed, as the color match was poor. The hood will need some wet sanding as some unevenness shows in the clear coat. But at least I can start the hard work of reassembly.

Really like the look of the painted bumper and spoiler! I think it makes those items seem much better integrated with the car. Can't figure out why some of the photo attachments are loading sideways... I will try to fix later.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
As you can see, the new garage is a project in its own right. It had a saggy ceiling supported by a makeshift pillar (not shown). The ceiling is now vaulted to give 10 foot of clearance. I've put down racedeck flooring to cover up the stained 50 year old concrete. Photos are poor inside the garage because I can't yet open the doors! I have a high-lift garage door scheduled for Friday which will provide clearance for the lift. Then I can get some photos of the spider in its new home.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well, the home/garage renovation and move is FINALLY complete, so the project is starting to move (just a little). New garage features lofted ceilings for an eventual lift, 220v power, and air lines and a lot more working space now that it does not have to do triple duty as a gym and laundry room.

Got the interior mostly put together (seats, steering, harnesses, fire bottle) and have started reconnecting brake lines. I will also be working on improving some of the wiring work while the engine is out and everything is easy to work with.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
No major updates from the last week. I did get the steering system back together and the throttle link reinstalled. Cleaned and repainted some of the various brackets including the throttle link, steering stops, and center steering link. It's easy to forget how much cleaning and repainting needs to get done when the car is apart (well, if you are like me and can't stand to reinstall greasy parts covered in surface rust).

I'm also pleased to announced that my new mechanic will now be assisting.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Progress is happening... slowly but surely.

Brake lines are back in (pedal box and master cylinders pending better hardware).

Redid the wiring loom on the driver’s side, getting rid of some of the wires that are unused with the build that previously were just cut in-situ. Fixed the wonky speedo ground that was cut and mysteriously just twisted together (so that’s why my speedo was cutting out!). New wire retaining clips as well.

Also starting to get into the fun stuff! Crank is installed along with cigarette seals, etc. Liners are in, but a bit of a question mark. I’m showing liners #1 and #2 at in-spec 2 thousandths. But Liners #3 and #4 are at 7 thousandths. Measurements are with 0-rings in and hold down torqued to 10ft/lbs.

Factory manual says 0 to 2 thousandths is spec but at least one aftermarket manual says up to two hundredths! The copper o rings on the liners liners will protrude a lot more than 2 thousandths, so I’m not sure how much it will matter. Worth trying to muck with or just send it?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
The COVID-19 shut downs have slowed progress from what I had hoped due to the closure of my regular day care, but I have another shop assistant.

And I have made some progress. Pedal box and brakes are back together, and the bottom end of the motor is almost done! Just the oil pan and clutch (waiting on the alignment tool to come). The head is ready to bolt on, so we are on the home home stretch.

Ran into an interesting issue with the inter cooler. It was originally fitted when the front lip was partially broken due to an accident at some time in the car’s history. My painter fixed the lip, but I lost intercooler clearance in the process. It took some judicious cutting of the radiator ducting to get it to fit again. Next step will be a removable plate so the duct can do its job.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts