Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All..I'm running (well trying to run) a 84 spider and I have replaced the old factory air filter with the "Power Stack Performance Air Filter" from IAP...My question is that given its angle with the Air Flow Meter hose I am not getting a direct shot to cooler air coming from under the front of the car. Instead the filter is angled off to the side on a diangle almost pointing into the area of the head light. Does anyone no how I could better postion the air filter to get a good amount of cool fresh air. Also I have heard that it would be a good idea to fabricate a heat shield that would block the hot air coming from the engine from entering the area around the air filter? Is this really needed..if so any thoughts? Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi All..I'm running (well trying to run) a 84 spider and I have replaced the old factory air filter with the "Power Stack Performance Air Filter" from IAP...My question is that given its angle with the Air Flow Meter hose I am not getting a direct shot to cooler air coming from under the front of the car. Instead the filter is angled off to the side on a diangle almost pointing into the area of the head light. Does anyone no how I could better postion the air filter to get a good amount of cool fresh air. Also I have heard that it would be a good idea to fabricate a heat shield that would block the hot air coming from the engine from entering the area around the air filter? Is this really needed..if so any thoughts? Thanks a bunch
What's wrong with the stock filter? It's got a more direct cold air source, and it filters MUCH better. Perhaps the "Power Stack" makes more noise, but not more HP.

·
Registered
612 Posts
it takes less space, especially when you want to put different alternator, airbox is a bit on its way...

·
Registered
532 Posts
it takes less space, especially when you want to put different alternator, airbox is a bit on its way...
Plenty of clearance on both of my Bosch-injected Spider's. I can't see how that's a real issue. But, increasing the intake air temp, and the amount of grit that gets into the engine, those are things I'd rather avoid.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I found that the chicken s**t bracket that held the Power stack (and the AFM) was a joke. I also noted after I purchased, that IAP indicates in their catalog, a note "USA Note: not legal in the USA on pollution-controlled motor vehicles."

So I sent it back, even after the 30 day return period. Got an 80% credit and used it to buy better things for my 87 Quad.

In Italy they call things like the Power stack "un gimmico espensivo" LOL...!

Best regards, Elio

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've actually done the intake air temp comparisons, on both an L-Jet car (stock v. "Power Stack") and on a Spica car (stock v. Shankle "Quadra-Flow"). In both cases, the differences were dramatic - on the order of 45-55 degrees F cooler with the stock intake. This was done on a hot April day, several years ago here in the Tampa area.

Anyone else can do the same. Any Wal-Mart or auto parts store will likely have a little $15 outside temperature gauge you can buy as an accessory. Mine takes 2 AAA batteries, has an LCD display, and the temp probe is on about 8 feet of wire. You can position it anywhere you like, but I put it inside the throttle bodies of each car. The wire is thin enough that you can slip it under the rubber boot and clamp without any air leaks. On my Spica car I can run a few extra degrees of ignition advance with the stock airbox that I couldn't with the Shankle air cleaner. Of course, on an L-Jet or Motronic Spider, you're not availed of that option. FWIW, as far as I'm concerned none of IAP's performance improvement claims, for any of their products, can be substantiated in real-world use. YMMV.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I new this stuff before I bought the one from IAP..but it still looks pretty cool..I might throw on the old to see if I feel a difference

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since this thread is a bit old, I am going to live it up and ask a somewhat related question.

I have found the air filter of my 86´spider is not in the right position at all, or it may not be the appropriate model. I can even see a gap of air between the case and the filter at some points. Would that qualify as an 'air leak'?.

·
Registered
612 Posts
no, because is before MAF (or whenever that sensor is called) everything after that sensor is considered an air leak.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Not sure I understand the question...
A picture would help.

If you are using the stock OE air box and the right air filter, the 6 clamps pretty much tighten the lid to the box mounted on the fender.....where is the gap "airleak" you speak of?

Best regards, Elio

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've actually done the intake air temp comparisons, on both an L-Jet car (stock v. "Power Stack") and on a Spica car (stock v. Shankle "Quadra-Flow"). In both cases, the differences were dramatic - on the order of 45-55 degrees F cooler with the stock intake. This was done on a hot April day, several years ago here in the Tampa area.

Anyone else can do the same. Any Wal-Mart or auto parts store will likely have a little $15 outside temperature gauge you can buy as an accessory. Mine takes 2 AAA batteries, has an LCD display, and the temp probe is on about 8 feet of wire. You can position it anywhere you like, but I put it inside the throttle bodies of each car. The wire is thin enough that you can slip it under the rubber boot and clamp without any air leaks. On my Spica car I can run a few extra degrees of ignition advance with the stock airbox that I couldn't with the Shankle air cleaner. Of course, on an L-Jet or Motronic Spider, you're not availed of that option. FWIW, as far as I'm concerned none of IAP's performance improvement claims, for any of their products, can be substantiated in real-world use. YMMV.
I have to disagree with parts of this. I'm not sure of the improvement in an Alfa but I belong to several Corvette clubs and forums and the cone, high-flow filters do work in Corvettes. The original box in an Alfa is very restrictive and I would think causes a lot of turbulance. Now if you modified the box and put on a larger air inlet tube maybe it would perform better. In any case, the only way to tell is by a dyno or time-slips. I do agree the difference would be slight but I do believe ther eis a difference. Mor eair in, more power out. The cost of the filter prevents me from getting a power-stack.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts