Alfa Romeo Forums banner

241 - 260 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I finally got the new wheels on the car today. I'm pleased with the result, though it now makes me want to take the suspension down to European spec. The tires (Michelin PS AS 3+, 205/50 R16) are about 0.4" wider than the original TRX tires.

The finish is very close to original, but smoother and shinier as you can somewhat tell from the photo of one of the old wheels next to the car.

I took a little artistic license with the center caps since I was not going to be able to get originals. These are 50mm caps as you would see on a current Alfa 4c. I could conceivably swap them out with a set that has the logo color scheme that matches the car (gold/white/red/blue/green instead of silver/red/green).

It was fun to see work-in-progress pics from NTM.

In retrospect, I probably would have been just as happy with a 15" set.

Here are the specs:

16" diameter x 6.5"
3 piece forged aluminum
10 kg/22 lbs. (originals ~7.5 kg/16.6 lbs)
PCD- 5x98, Centerbore- 58.6mm, Stud- 12x1.5
ET40 offset (originals ET44)

Cost: more than a few sets of tires. This is not the most frugal path to getting standard-sized wheels on a 1985 GTV6.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Excellent! Kudos for you for going down this path, and I will say the 16" tires opens you up to more tire options, 15" tires are getting harder to find on many options. And I agree about dropping the front down just a little. They look great!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Those are a winner!

Any reason that you went 16" v 17"? At 17", the world of tires is at your feet. From an aesthetic stand point, I do like the 16" size, its what I have now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Those are a winner!

Any reason that you went 16" v 17"? At 17", the world of tires is at your feet. From an aesthetic stand point, I do like the 16" size, its what I have now.
100% esthetic consideration. 17" would require some pretty low profile tires which wouldn't work for me on a car of this period. Even at 16" it's just shy of being "not quite right" to my eye. Going from 365mm TRX (14.4") to this is a big change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
what size of tires besides 200/60/hr365

hello,
I have these speedline wheels (365mm). What size of tires will fit to these wheels besides trx 200/60/hr365(original tires on wheels) and also I want to make sure these wheels will fit perfectly on my 1983 gtv6...Please give me some advices.

thank you,david

·
Registered
52 Posts
hello,
I have these speedline wheels (365mm). What size of tires will fit to these wheels besides trx 200/60/hr365(original tires on wheels) and also I want to make sure these wheels will fit perfectly on my 1983 gtv6...Please give me some advices.

thank you,david
As far as I know, there are no other tires that will fit those wheels. None. This is why I had custom 16” wheels made to match the Speedlines.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
As long as people drive Miatas and e30s, there will always be some pretty decent 15" tires. You just have to go wider and lower profile. I went some Yokohamas (S Drive 205/55/15), pretty well liked by the MX-5 guys, and have had zero issues so far. They were also cheap!
That said, I really want a set of Ronals.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
By the way, what offset did you use on those wheels?

Looks like you stuck with the stock offset but maybe not.

The folks at NTM were urging me to go to 25 mm offset, which looks great but is a big change.

·
Registered
52 Posts
By the way, what offset did you use on those wheels?

Looks like you stuck with the stock offset but maybe not.

The folks at NTM were urging me to go to 25 mm offset, which looks great but is a big change.
Going from the metric Speedlines made of magnesium (or are they alloy?) to much bigger wheels made of aluminum, the weight gain isn’t too much of a surprise. I don’t expect 6 pounds at each corner to make much of a difference in daily driving.

Stock offset is 44 mm. These are 40, at NTM’s recommendation. I can’t decide if the difference is really perceptible. I think the combination of slightly wider tire and slightly smaller offset adds up to a visible difference. Again, not likely to affect daily driving much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Alfa Robert, those are awesome! Well done. Like you and many others, I've got a set of the original Speedlines in my garage. I love the look, but what to do with them? Maybe turn them into a coffee table or something.

Matt at Alfasupply says he could procure Lancia Stratos coffin spokes with gold finish fit for a GTV6 ... would be very nice! I am saving up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good luck! ... please let us know how it goes. Are you planning to daily drive it with the Coker tires? I thought they had some warning against road use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No doubt this has been opined before, however, I have two favourite GTV6 wheels, 15x7 Ronals and the rare 15x7 Compomotives fitted to the South African GTV6s

241 - 260 of 312 Posts