Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw few wheels post and there are plenty wheels out there to choose from.
I was thinking of changing my phonedial wheels just to loose some weight and also to give a diferent look at the car.
Is it reasonable to say that I wont have any trouble going 16" or 17" without rubing on the car?
What brands are good for this tipe of car? How about performance springs. Some people say they are too hard for a street car and some people don't mind.
You have to understand that were I live, some roads are not quite perfect.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Hi Dingodog,

To keep overall tire diameter near that of a stock Spider and use a 16" or 17" in. wheel, you will need to use lower profile tires. Possibly 45 or even 40 series (you can check this by using http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html ).

However, the lower the tire profile, the less resistant it is to road shock and the stiffer the ride. I also have phondial wheels on my '91 Spider, and have been considering Panasport wheels but in 15" in. diameter so I can use the recently purchased 15" tires. I know increased wheel diameter is all the rage, but I believe too much increase doesn't suit the Spider styling (and, no offense, but gives the car a "look" I just don't like). Other owners may want as big a wheel as possible. The compromise I like best is when the outside tire diameter provides just a little more fill in the wheel opening.

Dingodog said:
I saw few wheels post and there are plenty wheels out there to choose from.
I was thinking of changing my phonedial wheels just to loose some weight and also to give a diferent look at the car.
Is it reasonable to say that I wont have any trouble going 16" or 17" without rubing on the car?
What brands are good for this tipe of car? How about performance springs. Some people say they are too hard for a street car and some people don't mind.
You have to understand that were I live, some roads are not quite perfect.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I would not go any bigger than 15. The large wheel look does nothing for me personally. It is obvious from a sampling of cars driving down the street that I am in the minority.

15" Panasports will be my choice when I replace the heavier phone dials.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,334 Posts
I have seen one Spider that was well set-up with 16" wheels, and quite a few others that were a disaster from a ride and handling POV.

So, If you are after increased performance, a lighter 15" wheel will work the best. I firmly believe the Spider chassis works best with a certain amount of sidewall, and you just can't get that with 16" or 17" wheels.

Joe

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Since I have 16" wheels on my Spider, I guess I'm somewhat prejudiced. I think they look great on the series 4 but I wouldn't use them on an earlier Spider. I don't find the ride hard at all and I'm riding on Koni reds, IAP sport springs and all poly suspension bushings. Maybe its all the padding in my fat butt, but I think the ride is great, firm and precise. "One man's meat..., etc)

IMHO earlier spiders want an old school look. My 71 is on 14" BWA wheels. Love these too.

My personal choice on an 80s Spider would be a set of Daytonas

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Decide what your objectives are;traditional originality, unique style, racing type performance, then develop your Alfa in the direction that suits you.

If your subjected to less than decent road surfaces do not go any larger than 16" wheels. 205/50/16 tires will provide an upgrade in handling and give your Spider a fresh and unique look. Finish it off with a set of Centerline performance springs and Koni reds and you will feel a vast improvement over stock.

Charlie
www.serpentautosport.com

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Charlie,

Excellent advice. "'One style for all" certainly doesn't fit the Alfa community, as evidenced by the diversity on the BB. And, those serpent autosport wheels sure look nice...very contemporary, and maybe a better choice than Panasports for a S4 spider. Any chance of a 15" size?

Charlie DiMarco said:
Decide what your objectives are;traditional originality, unique style, racing type performance, then develop your Alfa in the direction that suits you.

If your subjected to less than decent road surfaces do not go any larger than 16" wheels. 205/50/16 tires will provide an upgrade in handling and give your Spider a fresh and unique look. Finish it off with a set of Centerline performance springs and Koni reds and you will feel a vast improvement over stock.

Charlie
www.serpentautosport.com

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
George,

I'm glad you like the Type 3 wheels. The star design keeps with the Alfa tradition and the polished lip adds a contemporary touch.

Give me a call (818 458-4909) when your ready for some wheels and we can discuss your requirements. The 15" is not in my standard line up but I will look into it for you.

Charlie
www.serpentautosport.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts