Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all think...petronix...or a 1-2-3?

Cost wise, it's hard to beat the petronix. mechanical advance works pretty well, it's just not flexible. is all that flexibility really worth it for the price of a 1-2-3?

application is my race car, not a street car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like the Crane Cams XR3000...have one in one of my Alfettas. Very strong spark and I noticed an improvement in drivability right away. I sold a lot of the similar XR700 units at the VW parts store where I used to work. People were very happy with them.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,596 Posts
hot spark out of Austin Texas has a great module that fits a bosch dizzy if you have one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've installed the Pertronix modules on my distributor (a Marelli S103BA unit) and it's been working perfectly. Installation is very straightforward. I'm happy with it, but it's important to note, my car is a street-driven car (not a race car.)

For a race car, being able to modify ignition advance curves and the such might be very useful, indeed. Given that the latest 123 ignition systems allow users to program/customize their own advance curves, I suspect the 123 system would be the way to go (if choosing b/w a 123 and Pertronix for a race application.)

The other systems mentioned already would also work well - as good or better than the 123 in terms of flexibility and customization. I get the feeling the electronic ignition systems are worth the extra cost and effort for racing applications.

Good luck,

enrique

·
Registered
25 Posts
The only negative with the crane system is that it has an outboard module. But for a race car that certainly won't matter...
Yeah, I suppose that would be an issue if one were concerned about an original appearance wouldn't it? Not so much of a problem on the lowly Alfetta...:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts