Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to clean my engine from some years of gunk. Besides a degreaser anyone have a recommendation of a good way to clean the engine? I am thinking steam clean ibut f anyone wants to offer an alternative approach. Don't mind hard work.

·
Registered
what part?
10,677 Posts
it takes a little time, and making notes.. but you can remove(from the motor, and firewalls and tape it to the windsheild) and clean it really well.. paint thinner works well, but the waist could be a problem.. dish washing soap, allmost full streight, and stainless steel wool , like chore-boy, you can get this at ace-hardware stores, and lots of hot water... playtex rubber goves work well..some soft brass tooth type brushes .under the car.. a lot off sawdust to catch any ugle stuff that might come off... but to get it started, a couple cans of engine cleaner and a pocket full of quarters at you local do it your self car wash to get the major stuff off. also,, childern , do you have any? free labour there:)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm also curious to the best way to clean and engine/transmission while in the car. Especially since cleaning from below is impossible without getting it up on jacks first.

In the past, I've used spray dgreasers, pressure washers (throttled back a bit), and even WD-40. Going for steam next (wife's nice one...)

Others have posted glass media blasting parts when disassembled... but I'm like you - interested in getting to the source of leaks.

·
Registered
what part?
10,677 Posts
up post.....or you can just get a gallon of paint thinner, lacer thinner.. a few brushes of asst. sizes,, go to a car wash.. brush paint thinner on the parts you need to clean.. rinse - repete...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts