Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Milano is a 2.5 and I'm wondering what the most effective way is to bump up the horsepower to 200-220. Any advice is welcome!

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Swap in a 3.0.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,488 Posts
Install a 3L motor. Alternatively replace L-Jet with Megasquirt programable engine management and buy a pair of hot street cams from Richard Jemison and install CSC headers. Better still, do all of those things plus bigger injectors.
Here is an example of what you can expect Interesting day on the dyno

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Forced induction! Plus ignition and fuel management.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Was thinking about this a bit further. Can you get to 200+ with only cams and fuel management in a 3.0? Straight swap Verde is about 180. Jim K's recipe heads towards 230 but with compression changes and porting. Not saying the step from 150 (2.5) to 180 (3.0) is not worth it, but to get further I think a lot more is needed than cams. I could be wrong. I guess the SZs and 164S were rated in that range. But they have higher compression than the run of the mill 3.0.

I know that mild forced induction and "modern" engine management will get 200 at the wheels (~240 at the crank) from a 2.5 and will keep the "revvy" characteristics.

·
Premium Member
13,488 Posts
Can you get to 200+ with only cams and fuel management in a 3.0?
Mine made 214 HP at the wheels and I never removed the heads. Details in the link in post #3

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So I take it that the answer is that a 2.5 liter can not make that horsepower? I wasn't looking to swap the engine lol. But doing those mods to a 2.5 would still bump up the power even if it doesn't break 200.
(Note my brain must be dead everything that was recommended for a 2.5 seems to have just flown over my head! Thank you guys for the suggestions!)

·
Premium Member
13,488 Posts
Driving fun comes from torque and that is where the 3.0 has an advantage. My motor made over 250 ft-lb at about 5200 rpm.
I have driven Al Mitchell's twin turbo 2.5 and it is awesome. Torque was limited in the engine management to about 350 ft-lb as that is the most that the stock clutch can handle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sounds cool. Well, I will definitely be modding mine to get there but it's gonna be a little here and a little there. But you know what they say, patience is a virtue
;)

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
My question would be how did you decide you wanted 200-220 hp? That's a specific range. If I may...I would wager that you just want to go a bit faster - right? If straight line speed is what you're after, you're in the wrong car. If backroad speed or lap times is what you're after, the easiest and cheapest way to go faster is buy better tires, get more seat time...or go buy a different car. It's easy to spend as much on a proper 3.0 engine rebuild and "improvement" for horsepower as you would on a different car. Ask me how I know! That other car probably won't sound as good or be as fun, but...it would probably be faster.

Signed,
a transaxle Alfa nut.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The reason I chose that number is because I have driven several cars with around 200 horsepower and that is, in my opinion, an ideal ballpark for this car. Not too slow, but not so fast that I would have to upgrade a whole bunch of other parts to compensate for the additional speed. Obviously I will do slotted rotors and the like but I'm really not looking to go much higher than that as of right now. Think of it more as a cap. That is the maximum horsepower I want. The reason I don't want to engine swap is I don't really have the time and I would like to tinker with smaller upgrades on weekends. After reading the suggestions of our fellow Alfistis though, I think I would be happy with just the upgraded headers and the ecu/bigger injectors.

·
Premium Member
13,488 Posts
Do the Megasquirt conversion first and install a wideband AFR meter such as Zeitronix ZT2. Then play with the fuel map to get the max torque AFR throughout the range where you want the motor to respond best. Then start making other modifications one at a time and adjusting the fuel map after each one. You will see what is helping because more power requires more fuel. At some point install some good cams from Richard Jemison. I guarantee that you will be impressed with them. It is possible that the stock injectors will be big enough on a street tuned 2.5 motor.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
If/when you go for a decent programmable computer, make sure it includes, and you utilise, ignition timing control.
And while you're at it, make sure to include some sort of modern-ish crank angle sensing.
The computer needs to know where the engine is, in order to accurately control ignition and injector timing.

·
Premium Member
13,488 Posts
With Megasquirt you can do the fuel control first and then move on to ignition. In my case ignition was harder to implement properly. They both work from the stock distributor and no extra crank sensor is needed.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Except if you actually want to run your injectors in, at bare minimum, pairs, you need something more than the 6 trigger edges inside a distributor. Otherwise you are locked into batch fire of all 6 injectors.

·
Premium Member
13,488 Posts
Otherwise you are locked into batch fire of all 6 injectors.
The thread is about getting 220 HP from Busso V6 and that is easily achieved with batch fire. No need to make things more complicated.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts