Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 2000 Spider Veloce
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blew out a tire sidewall this week, turns out my tires are very old. Had a set of Michelin XGT V4's. Don't think they're available any longer. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1973 Spider 2L
235 Posts
Looks like most of the tires in that size are going to be more of a summer track tire. I would suggest a set of KUMHO or yohomama but pretty much all tires made today are going to be good quality to an extent. Looks like with that size your locked into summer or highperformace all seasons. Here's a couple of my picks.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
"Best Tires" can be very subjective. There are several threads on the subject, see below. The 205's are pretty wide for that car and according to some will put undue stress on the steering box. Most folks would fit 185's since are readily available at most tire shops and close to the original size.
Tire questions

·
Registered
72 2000 Spider Veloce
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. Living in Hawaii, so a summer tire works ok, no need for all season. Hard to find them in stock here. Going to try local first.

Does your '73 still have the Spica fuel injection?

·
Registered
72 2000 Spider Veloce
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Best Tires" can be very subjective. There are several threads on the subject, see below. The 205's are pretty wide for that car and according to some will put undue stress on the steering box. Most folks would fit 185's since are readily available at most tire shops and close to the original size.
Tire questions
Good info. Thanks a bunch. I like the 15" Panasports, will see what's available to fit them. Now I know why the speedometer reads high and my steering box started leaking (more) of late. Makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,837 Posts
Steering box leaks just because the seal is old, has nothing to do with tire sizes.

I have a set of Dunlop Direzza on my Milano race car, and now on my Berlina and I really like them. They held up really well during an endurance race and have great steering feel.

Reactions: autobroker

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Steering box leaks just because the seal is old, has nothing to do with tire sizes.

I have a set of Dunlop Direzza on my Milano race car, and now on my Berlina and I really like them. They held up really well during an endurance race and have great steering feel.
The box could also be cracked. There are plenty of threads on the BB about cracked steering boxes.

·
Push hard and live
11,036 Posts
You can spend a couple of late nights exploring "best" tires for 105/115 Spider, and end up hating your life by the end. Much like the debate about plugs and oil, one just grows weary after a while.

Having said that...

I put a set of Pirelli CN36 185/70-14 on my car. The lightness of steering combined with totally predictatable grip, and stability at speed has transformed my car. Different than every other Alfa I've owned, and that's been several.

·
Registered
72 2000 Spider Veloce
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I need to stick with the 15" wheels, going to see what's available locally here in Hawaii. Need to get into the steering box as well it seems. Replacing the 5 tie rods along with the new rubber. Getting there.

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,938 Posts
Why do you need to stick to the 15" rims? Take them off and sell them and get a set of factory steel 14" rims and centre plates or correct size 14" alloys and fit either the 165 x 14, or fit a set of 185 x 70 x 14`s. As Don Peterson above has said the correct tyres transform these cars as well as place less stress on the structure at the front. You will experience a sense of lightness and fluidity that makes the car even more enjoyable than you thought possible.

·
Registered
72 2000 Spider Veloce
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I needed to get the car back on the road, found a set of suitable tires at Costco (the only tire distributor on the Big Island). Had all 4 installed today for $270. BF Goodrich Advantage Sports, 195/60 R15's. Funny, they wouldn't install them on the Spider, so I had to just bring them the tires and rims and they did the work. So I'm good to go for the time being. I'll see if I can find a buyer for the Panasport 15's, doubtful here in Hawaii, but you never know. Then I'll get the 14's and a set of decent tires. Shipping and availability are a big issue out here in the middle of the Pacific. Thanks for the advice.

·
Push hard and live
11,036 Posts
To be fair, the choice of tires for any car, and particularly an Alfa Spider, is far more subjective than an engineering question.

105/115 Spiders are not really brilliant performers. They are, however, pleasant.

A scenic drive, top down, on a pretty day, in the right company is a satisfying experience, and requires no great performance from the car or tires. It is probable that many of us here on the BB suffer from delayed maturation, and seek thrills that our gentler companions may not appreciate.

Those that fit mundane tires to their Spiders may miss out on one possible experience, but will possibly outstrip the rest of us in the quantity and responsiveness of their shared experiences.

·
Registered
450 Posts
To be fair, the choice of tires for any car, and particularly an Alfa Spider, is far more subjective than an engineering question.

105/115 Spiders are not really brilliant performers. They are, however, pleasant.

A scenic drive, top down, on a pretty day, in the right company is a satisfying experience, and requires no great performance from the car or tires. It is probable that many of us here on the BB suffer from delayed maturation, and seek thrills that our gentler companions may not appreciate.

Those that fit mundane tires to their Spiders may miss out on one possible experience, but will possibly outstrip the rest of us in the quantity and responsiveness of their shared experiences.
Have to agree, always thought of my Spider as a GT rather than a sports car, however the biggest improvement was when I fitted CN36's, brought the steering back to life and allowed hugely enjoyable blasts A to B

·
Registered
'81 Spider Veloce (US) on Webers
103 Posts
Really like my new General Altimax tires in OE size 185 70 14. Big improvement over the 15yr old Toyo's that were too small at 195 60 14. Generals have good grip with very predictable rear traction and slide if you into that sort of thing, are quiet and have a good looking sidewall, plus they are cheap without being a 3rd tier offshore piece of garbage. ;)

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I was looking at the various tires offered by my local retailer and the Altimax was one that I spotted that doesn't have the now trendy square shoulders.

Yesterday I was helping a friend who has a Spider and I pointed out the 195/60 Pirelli P6000 he has look pretty old. No visible degradation, but they were on the car when he got it over ten years ago. I checked the DOT date code... 119... two first digits week, two last digits year. Wait, three digits? Made in the last century.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
As a thought, see if you can pick up a set of vintage wheels. The Turbina's are pretty light weight and easy to get. Also, I love the look of BWA Milano's, but they're a little harder to find.

The 185 width helps the steering when parking and it's wide enough for a 2300 lb car.

·
Push hard and live
11,036 Posts
CN36. Say no more.

Reactions: BMX
1 - 19 of 19 Posts