Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ..I am new to the BB but I have been a lurker since the demise of the old Alfa Digest. I will be selling my 88 Verde in a few months because I lost my indoor storage and would rather sell it than see it deteriorate outside under a cover. The odometer reads 89,400 but the actual mileage is probably 10% lower because of the Platinum transaxle. I have owned the car for 20 years (I have owned my GTV for 32 years) and it is my fifth Alfa and third Milano. It is not a garage queen but it is in very good condition (no rust) and it probably drives better now than when it was new, as it was regularly serviced by Glynn Motorsports in Rowley, MA. So, where is the best place to sell it? I have heard stories about Bring A Trailer...how about Hemmings? I let my membership in the Alfa Owners Club lapse a few years ago, but I could have a friend place an ad...Thanks...Jim

·
Super Moderator
11,522 Posts
Best Place to sell my 88 Milano
What does "best" mean to you? Highest price? Fewest scammers? Quickest sale? Will go to an appreciative home?

Bring a Trailer has been getting incredible prices, but would they accept a lowly Alfa Milano? They seem over-subscribed, so only 98+ point cars seem to show up there. Without seeing photos of your Milano, I can't predict whether they would accept it. See this page: 75/Milano Looks like four Milanos sold on BaT in 2020.

"Alfa Owner", the monthly magazine of the North American Alfa Club, is a good place to market to Alfa enthusiasts. But it's last century's technology: there is a long delay between submitting your ad and having the printed issues show up in prospective buyers' mailboxes and you only get one photo and a brief description.

I don't know much about Hemmings.

You could advertise it here on the BB. Quick, inexpensive, reaches people familiar with Alfas.

Personally, I would avoid Craigslist and ebay, but others have had success with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jay, Thank you for your reply. "Best Place" to me means that I get a fair price and that it goes to someone who will enjoy it and take care of it as well as I have. I don't want to sell it to someone who is just looking to flip it or drive it into the ground...I am aware however that there is little I can to to ensure that even if I sell locally and meet the buyer personally...I have heard that BAT tries to get you to set a low reserve so that the car sells...I have also heard that folks will make comments about the car so that they can drive the price down...I have attached a picture of the car taken a few years ago at a car show...

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,263 Posts
If you want easiest that would be the BB, but my experience is that most folks here are pretty cheap.

If you're willing to put in the effort you'll get the best price on BaT. I'm pretty sure they'll accept a Milano, my old '87 Milano Gold was sold on BaT (not by me) for quite a good price and they've sold quite a few.

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI,1988 Milano Gold Auto
707 Posts
My 88 Gold was sold on BaT twice in 2018. Once in March, then again in September. The second buyer sold it to me in 2019. Personally from what I've read about BaT's regulations I wouldn't want to deal with them if I ever decide to sell. And don't even get me started about ebay!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have a friend who sold his GTV on BAT. Was a good transaction on all counts. It will likely net a higher price (certainly better than the BB), but will also require quite a bit more work for you - answering questions, setting photos, etc. Other good aspect of BAT is that even the dealers tend to be enthusiasts. I think this translates to good homes for the cars (though probably not as good as the BB). In his experience, BAT kept the auction going for a while past the deadline because there was still bid activity. There are enough Alfa people on the site to keep the discussions honest.

I have sold a classic Mustang through a live auction back when those were a thing. That was an interesting experience. Netted wholesale value for the car, but the transaction was completed in a single day and very easily. You would have to find the right venue for a Milano (Monterrey on car week?, something near a Radwood event?)

I have also been successful at selling cars at the events in Carlisle PA. I know that they have an import event each year, plus the spring and fall all-makes events. Even if you are unsuccessful in the sale, the events are a good time (and not to far from MA)

Connecting with the local AROC chapter is also a good start. There is a lot more Alfa activity in your area than in Nebraska! Maybe connect with a couple of the neighboring chapters as well.

Good luck with finding a home for your car.
Mark

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If it is a nice car, BAT is probably the best place to sell it. They like variety, and GTV6 and Milano sales tend to generate substantial interest. Just take your time to clean the car, take lots of photos, and make sure you answer all of the questions promptly the week it is for sale.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree, bat is probably a good place IF it is objectively a top tier example and you put the energy into doing it right.

Like zinhead said, you should be prepared to monitor the discussion thread closely and answer comments/questions as they are posted.

You'll also be expected to take a lot of pictures - engine bay, door panels, doors, headliner, wheels, underside, complete exterior, service records, etc. If youre uncomfortable with a camera or do not have a good eye then probably should ask a friend to handle that.

So, do it right by bat standards OR take three blurry pictures and post it on alfabb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your responses. While the car is in very good rust-free condition, is it not a pristine example. I have focused more on keeping it mechanically maintained and driving it the way it was meant to be driven. Everything works except for the cruise control, but I don't think that worked when it was new. The sunroof, anti-lock brakes, AC, and the ARC function correctly. The second gear synchro is crunchy when cold, but first to third shifts are easy with the Platinum transaxle until the transmission warms up (I also double clutch upshifting and downshifting). The S cams and valve train are a little noisy, but I think they just need adjustment. Although I might get more for the car on BAT, I might prefer to sell to folks who appreciate it as an awesome driver. I will probably consider selling it on the BB. Thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Jim:

I bought my 1989 Milano Gold from the board late last year. It was a very nice car and I had no problem at all paying the asking price for it. I haven't been on the board as long as many here, but I'm not sure I can agree with Gubi's comment above that "folks here are pretty cheap!" Just thrifty, perhaps! :) But I do think they recognize a good car at a fair price when they see one.

Having said that, I do follow BaT fairly regularly and agree, with the right effort, that is the best venue to obtain top dollar for a good car. Some of the prices paid there for old BMWs (about which I have considerable experience), for example, are astounding. I've got a nice euro BMW 635CSi that I am considering selling at some point and I'm sure that I will list it on BaT, if that site is reasonable with my reserve.

Good luck with your sale. Sounds like a good, well-driven, properly maintained car.

·
Super Moderator
11,522 Posts
I have a friend who sold his GTV on BAT. Was a good transaction on all counts. It will likely net a higher price (certainly better than the BB), but will also require quite a bit more work for you - answering questions, setting photos, etc.
Yup. As with most things in life, you've got to work more if you want to get paid more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello ..I am new to the BB but I have been a lurker since the demise of the old Alfa Digest. I will be selling my 88 Verde in a few months because I lost my indoor storage and would rather sell it than see it deteriorate outside under a cover. The odometer reads 89,400 but the actual mileage is probably 10% lower because of the Platinum transaxle. I have owned the car for 20 years (I have owned my GTV for 32 years) and it is my fifth Alfa and third Milano. It is not a garage queen but it is in very good condition (no rust) and it probably drives better now than when it was new, as it was regularly serviced by Glynn Motorsports in Rowley, MA. So, where is the best place to sell it? I have heard stories about Bring A Trailer...how about Hemmings? I let my membership in the Alfa Owners Club lapse a few years ago, but I could have a friend place an ad...Thanks...Jim
Where are you located?

FLi

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think BaT can be a crapshoot as to who decides to watch over just the 1-week bidding period. The negative comments from non-bidders (and you can see that person's bid history, if any) can be a joke, but it all stays put (even if you "flag as being non-constructive"). As someone else replied, here, it's those instances which, to me, knock down bidding. BaT did set a fair reserve for me, even noting something to the effect of: keep it low to encourage more bidding and/or option to drop the reserve. Unfortunately, bidding ended at only 80% of the reserve. BaT did set me up with high bidder, but by time the aforementioned comments hit the auction page, I feel it did more harm than good.
As for ebay, my experience is limited to winning a project car PLUS half of my own wreck BACK for the same price I originally sold the entire wreck FOR. I guess that's a win?

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I agree with most of what was said. Just to add to the Alfa Owner discussion, although the magazine has the typical long lead time, the aroc-USA website carries the same classifieds, in fact that's the way the ads make it into the magazine. Non-members can post for a modest charge. My selling choices would be local chapters, aroc-USA, the Bboard, and BaT, in that order. BaT moves a lot of Alfas, but I can't speak as a user, only as an observer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies (and advice)..I am guessing that going the aroc route could take longer, but I am not in a hurry to sell...I'd rather sell the car locally so that I can see it at car shows..over the past 5-6 years I been the only Milano at the Italian car show in Boston (Tutto Italiano)..Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the replies (and advice)..I am guessing that going the aroc route could take longer, but I am not in a hurry to sell...I'd rather sell the car locally so that I can see it at car shows..over the past 5-6 years I been the only Milano at the Italian car show in Boston (Tutto Italiano)..Jim
I live in New Hampshire, am considering buying a Milano Verde, I have a new Giulia too. I have been going to Tutto Italiano since I was a young boy. Saw the thread, felt this was probably my opportunity ... do you want to PM what you're looking for price wise? I am 21, so I am thinking this would be a fun thing for my father and I to enjoy (if he doesn't think I am crazy)

Max

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Max...I am still trying to determine what the car is worth. I have been looking at Verde sales over the past year on BAT and the BB. If you are close to North Reading, you are welcome to come and look at it. Here is a picture of the car at Tutto (I think in 2017). My 74 GTV is one car over (on the other side of the GTV6). Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hopefully Max and his dad buy this one. Btw, there’s a new internet auction site started by YouTuber Doug DeMuro that is a competitor to BaT. It’s called Cars & Bids. I bought my Alfa on BaT. The buyer’s experience is awesome. I’m readying a couple cars to auction this spring and am thinking BaT.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts