Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone:
The tires on my car probably date from the Clinton Administration (Michelin X 185/70R14), so I need to get a new set. I am using the standard OEM wheels for 1988 (Cromodoros?) and I just wanted to see if anyone could share a good OEM tire that they have used. This would be for standard, non-track driving although freeway speeds around here hover between 70 and 80 mph.

thanks for any and all suggestions and

Best

Andy

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,931 Posts
The pickings are pretty slim in 185/70/14 performance tires. I was pretty happy with the Sumitomo HTR 200 as a summer performance tire though. Despite the low cost they gripped and handled quite well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The pickings are pretty slim in 185/70/14 performance tires. I was pretty happy with the Sumitomo HTR 200 as a summer performance tire though. Despite the low cost they gripped and handled quite well.
Agreed, I'm liking the HTR 200's so far. Big improvement in steering feel over the old Pirelli's I had previously. Great value for money.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sumitomo HTR 200's

GREAT feedback! I think my decision is made!

Best and thanks again

Andy

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Discount Tire has a few that size in stock now, but one of the best deals they had was for the Barum brand that were $55, were really soft and grippy and lasted about 30K miles. I dont see them on their list anymore. They were comparable to Falkens....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Epilogue

Installed the new Sumitomos today, and WHAT a difference! Also, my estimation that the old Michelins dated from the Clinton administration was confirmed as they were dated 1997! Those 14 year-old tires were, by comparison, as hard as rocks and an accident waiting to happen! Thanks everyone for the good advice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Spider Tires

I was interested to learn that you installed Sumitomo HRT 200 tires on your Spider. Are they the original 185/70 X 14 size? It thought they had been discontinued in that size, or at least Tire Rack does not list them as current in that size. If not, what size did you use? I need tires for my Spider and am having a hard time deciding what to do.

Thanks!

Klig

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unless you drive at the track, forget about "summer performance" which can give very scary driving in rain ... stick with M+S mud & snow. They are not a noisy snow tread and push away water better in the wet.

My 1987 Spider came new with Michelins which I have found to provide the best mileage. So I have had 4 sets over the years including Michelin's MXL, MX4 Rainforce, and now Harmony last replaced in 2005. I had one MX4 tread separation, otherwise all good tires lasting 50-54,000 miles per set.

Also, I have had 2 sets of Michelin's on my 1997 Jaguar XK8 lasting about 30,000 miles after replacing the original Pirelli's which only got me about 19,000 miles, and much noisier and more expensive!

Also, good experience and high mileage with Bridgestones on various trucks and my 1969 Jaguar E-type if they are available in the original P185/70R14 size for the Spider.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi Everyone:
The tires on my car probably date from the Clinton Administration (Michelin X 185/70R14), so I need to get a new set. I am using the standard OEM wheels for 1988 (Cromodoros?) and I just wanted to see if anyone could share a good OEM tire that they have used. This would be for standard, non-track driving although freeway speeds around here hover between 70 and 80 mph.

thanks for any and all suggestions and

Best

Andy
Andy,
I have Toyo Spectrums on my 86 Spider Veloce
"Toyo Spectrum Touring radial Mud and Snow"
P185/70R14
That's the factory specified size. They perform really well and aren't that expensive.
Jay

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,931 Posts
Unless you drive at the track, forget about "summer performance" which can give very scary driving in rain ... stick with M+S mud & snow. They are not a noisy snow tread and push away water better in the wet.
You are incorrect. A good summer performance tire should perform well wet AND dry (in fact, it should be better than a compromise all season tire). Being in California that's all I use and they work great in the wet.

All-seson M+S adds mud and snow capability (plus better low temperature performance to deal with winter). The additional traction block sections are designed to increase performance on loose surfaces like...well...mud and snow, not rain.

If it gets cold a summer tire won't perform well, but that has nothing to do with rain. And cold is not a problem where I live.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Andy,

195/65R14 tires will fit on your rims and give you a lot more choices.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I put a set of Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 (H&V) on my 87 Quad a few months ago and I am very pleased with them. I am not a racer but occasionally get enthusiastic and find them grippy and quiet.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As a postscript, I wore-out the Sumitomo HTR tires after about 12k miles. Mainly because I followed the inflation guidelines in the owner's manual (24 PSI front, 26 PSI rear), which, apparently, is no longer applicable. Buying the Michelins this time around and will keep them at 30 PSI!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know your size doesn't correlate to my Quad (205/60R15), but I have the Michelin X and they have been great. I only have 10k miles but they still look great and handle like a dream. Your post had me wondering why I keep a higher pressure in mine, but the owners manual is for 195's and recommend 27psi front/28.5 psi rear. Maybe because they're a "green" tire, they have a higher pressure!? I thought I read somewhere to maintain 35psi but now I can't find it anywhere. Back to the drawing board...

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,931 Posts
I found the 185/70s seemed happiest on the street at around 30PSI.

When I switched to the 195/60 on the phonedial alloys, I found them a bit jumpy over bumps at 30 and they seem happier at 28.

Obviously a lot of this may depend on your suspension setup, but that's my experience.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have General Altimax RT's, 185/70R14, and run them at 30 psi. Very happy with them. Reasonably priced and you can get them at Wallyworld without having to pay for shipping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts