Alfa Romeo Forums banner

What in your opinion is the best method to strip the body back to bare metal?

• Mechanically hand strip the lot.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Chemically hand strip the lot.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Media blast the lot.

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Corrosive dip the lot (either Acid or Alkaline)

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Mix methods 80% hand strip, 20 % media blast

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Mix methods 33% hand, 33% media blast, 33% corrosive dip

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other method or combination of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I want some hard advice. Cannot make up my mind as to what method of stripping the old paint off my car I will use. So I thought I would put it to the vote and provoke a bit of discourse.

My current idea is to:

1. mechanically stip the paint from the outer body using a stripping wheel and then coat each panel in DWX30 which when dry produces a film that keeps air and moisture out and prevents the panel from acquiring surface rust.

2. I am in two minds about preparing my under body which I will probably strip the body deadner by hand and perhaps then sand blast. If I go down the sand blast route for the under chassis I will probably sandblast the boot well and the engine bay.

3. Not sure how to handle the interior but maybe that should be sand blasted as well.

4. All the doors and the Boot(trunk) lid and Bonnet (hood) lid and plenum cover will be dipped.

Anyway I know lots of folk have done this and I know that everyone has an opinion on the best course to take. So I am putting it to the vote and hope to provoke some discussion. I have placed this poll in the GT section as we seem to have a lot of people stripping 105 coupes presently, so it should get plenty of coverage and that is what my car is a 105 coupe and there are issues that are specific to this model that will no doubt come out here.

So what do we all think ?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What ??? No one has an opinion ??? Not even going to poll???? 21 views ???

·
Registered
891 Posts
I am using mechanical stripping. Have removed the undercoating from the underside of the car, and have restored the floor and the inner and middle sills.

On the other side, my car is not very corroded.

Don't know how I will do the inside of the doors

·
Registered
111 Posts
For the outer body, I'd chemical strip the paint off and prep the metal with a DA sander at 80 grit. Use your metal etch primer of choice.

I've heard that some people use a heatgun and paint scraper to remove the underbody coating(watch out for the fumes!).

·
Registered
936 Posts
my observations, good and bad, for what its worth . . .

1. hand power sand - noisy, slow, dusty messy, heats up the metal - can cause warpage if not careful, can do small areas at a time.

2. media blast - very noisy, dusty and sandy messy, slow, heats up the metal - can cause warpage if not careful, media gets deposited in places you would never imagine - or be able to clean out, can do small areas at a time.

3. chemical strip - toxic, gooey messy, slow, must clean up with water - which can cause flash rust, you still need to finish off with some light power sanding, can do small areas at a time.

4. acid dip - expensive, strips everything from the metal, someone else does the work, must get EVERYTHING primed fast and at once, some acid will inevitably stay trapped in some nook or cranny and keep dissolving away metal over time - in an important and inconvenient place, must do complete parts at a time.

due to the short term costs, part time evening and weekend convenience, and long term safety concerns, i went with a combination of the first 3.

·
Super Moderator
10,168 Posts
Stripping paint

This is like asking "which is better, Webers or Spica". Or, "Catholicism or Islam". It is a question that everyone has strong opinions about!

I voted for media blasting, DONE BY AN EXPERIENCED PRO! Certainly if you take your body to someone who usually sandblasts headstones, they are going to warp the panels when they hit them with high-pressure sand. And, mechanically stripping an alloy-bodied car is very tricky. However, an experienced automotive shop, using plastic media on the sheetmetal, and sand on the frame, will do a great job. Yes, you will be vacuuming up loose media from the interior forever. Not a big deal to me.

Chemical dipping an entire body scares me to death. How do you ensure that all of the corrosive stuff is flushed from the seams? What about any aluminum bits on the steel body?

·
Registered
196 Posts
If the car has original paint only, jasco epoxy strip is the way to go. I stripped my entire shell in less the 4 hours. The doors, trunk, hood etc, took another day. After the paint literally almost fell off, I could still see the sheet metal numbers and some text, along with a few pencil marks made by the body guys, super cool.
If the car has more then 1 coat of paint, triple the time at least. Stripper only takes one layer off at a time, and some primers are very difficult to strip.
media blast the interior and front and rear cells.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts