Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted this reply originally in the thread about Vicks shocks but I think it'd be best to have its own since I have further questions.

I've got an S4 and need to replace the springs and shocks. I'm considering either hydraulic versions from Vicks or the ones that I think are the same from Centerline. Vicks are $175 and Centerline's are $239, for a set of 4.

http://www.vickauto.com/newstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4624

https://www.centerlinealfa.com/catal...iginal-105-115

a) does anyone have any feedback on if there's a difference between these two? Vicks is significantly cheaper.

b) what would be the best springs to pair with these so as to have slightly lowered ride height but no added harshness? Would the 1" lowered springs offered by either vendors work with the hydraulic shocks? I see they recommend them with the gas shocks but don't say anything about the hydraulics.

Money is an issue for me so I won't be doing a total suspension redo. I've already changed the bushings to poly and need to replace the 25 yr old springs/shocks. Looking for a crisper but not harsh setup- I'm not tracking the car, just doing some chill but spirited driving. Many thanks for any advice-

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add as well that my car currently really slams the front down hard on dips in the road. I'm not sure if it's because of weak shocks or springs or both. So whichever route to go above (hydraulic shocks with/without stiffer, lowered springs) I'm hoping to control front end dive better.

If anyone has any experience with these that'd be great to hear...

·
Premium Member
15,021 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the post AlfaParticle. I checked out the spring sheet and can't really tell how it will help my particular question for an S4.

Re Konis, I see people use them everywhere and like them but I've also seen a number of posts where people used the hydraulic shocks and felt they were surprisingly good for handling/ride. I'm not at the point of being able to really 'do' the suspension like Alfaholics Fast Road version so if I can get the ride/handling quality back to what was stock I'd be pretty happy.

My last question is if it's a good idea to get Vick's lowering springs (by 1"). They're not Vick's 'sport springs' but are 'slightly stiffer' and lower the car by 1". Unfortunately Vicks couldn't really give much info re the ride harshness tradeoff as there are too many variables.

·
Premium Member
15,021 Posts
Konis are hydraulic. Bilsteins are the best known gas shocks.

I would want to know the spring rate and free length of any springs that I put on my car. From that you can calculate the ride height if you know the weight of your car. It will also give you an idea of how the ride will be affected. Why not ask Vick? I can tell you what I like but there are plenty of members with other opinions.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
The question is difficult to answer as the ride ( you may like/want) is very subjective.

I'd go Koni, it's pretty much the aftermarket default on every Alfa I've seen over the last thirty years.

I have Koni reds in my Duetto, original springs as far as I can tell, it's a nice ride.
I have Koni yellow (adjustable) in my GTJunior, shorter springs. Much firmer controlled ride

I have Bilstien B6 in my 156 Sportwagon. Amazingly controlled ride, but firm as #uck. As a mate said once. You could tell which way up a coin was if you drove over it

Koni make a well known quality product - that said, I've never bought them myself, the cars came with them.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Since money is an issue and instant improvement is a goal, this adage from my hot rod days may apply:

"New stuff is always better than old worn out stuff."

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,723 Posts
i would say qa1 single adjustable,,, not expensive. and might cost less than konis.. and much , much easier to adjust,, no need to remove shock. qa1 just a knob at bottom..and you can rebuild them at home if you need too..

·
Registered
551 Posts
For a reasonable improvement in handling I suggest, Koni reds (half setting on front, almost off rear), remove rear ARB (sway) and fit stiffer ARB front, poly bushes for top suspension arm (front) and poly bushes for T bar mount to diff, renew all other bushes like for like - this is for a S2, I assume the S4 is the same - it reduces scuttle shake as well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.