Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Joe Elwell
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All -
I'm about to put my GTV6 up for some extended work. I can put it up on jack stands, but have been looking at perhaps getting a QuickJack.

Questions;

1. What are the best jacking points to jack up the car, and for placement of jack stands? Do you put pads on top of jack stands of some sort?

2. Any QuickJack or equivalent experiences would be appreciated. In particular, are they steady enough to withstand a lot of jostling? Engine removal? Transaxle removal?

thanks
Joe
Fairfax, VA

·
Premium Member
3,180 Posts
In for the replies. I've thought about getting the same piece of equipment.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
For 26 years, I have always jacked GTV6's up by the middle of the DiDion tube in the rear, and put jack stands out near the wheels on the DiDion. Pads are a good idea if your tube is clean.
In front. I always use the jack point under the nose that goes over the sway bar, the jack stands go under lower A arms.

·
Registered
76 Posts
For 26 years, I have always jacked GTV6's up by the middle of the DiDion tube in the rear, and put jack stands out near the wheels on the DiDion. Pads are a good idea if your tube is clean.
In front. I always use the jack point under the nose that goes over the sway bar, the jack stands go under lower A arms.
This is the best way without a proper lift. You can get the car pretty high this way and have all the access you need from the sides. The Quick-jacks limit side access completely. Great for taking of wheels and brake jobs or oil changes but not very good for driveline or clutch work on a TA car.

bb code img

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6 (Maratona)
108 Posts
I investigated using Quick jack earlier this year. I remember the distance between jacking points for my GTV6 was about 56 inches which required upgrading from the 3500lb to the 5000lb lift. The 5000lb lift was also longer which made it a tight squeeze between the wheels at ~70 inches. In the end, I could not decide so I am still using my ESCO Jack Stands with flat top (rubber pad). They extend to 22 inches (without adding blocks), are very stable, allow access under the car from the sides and are cheap.

I ultimately want a lift system and look forward to what others have to say about using Quick Jacks, seem like a reasonably priced quality lift option. Below is a pic of the ESCO stands my GTV6 is currently resting on.

IMG_1168[1].JPG

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I agree with above comments. I have Giulia (115) sedan and a QuickJack. It's great for working on either end of the car but not so great for the middle. I recently replaced the exhaust system using QuickJack and that was OK since most of the drama was near the front of the car, but not ideal. Will probably resort to jack stands when it's time to pull the engine, work on gearbox/driveshaft, etc. Also make sure you carefully check the QuickJack dimensions against the distance between jacking points on your ca before ordering.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have had a QuickJack for several years. If you only have to put one end up, a jack and 2 jack stands is faster. If you want to put the whole car up, the QuickJack is much faster than a jack and 4 jack stands.
I recently removed and replaced EVERYTHING aft of the engine flywheel on my GTV6 with the car on a QuickJack. I had good access to everything. The car was on the Quickjack for over 6 months.

·
Joe Elwell
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had a QuickJack for several years. If you only have to put one end up, a jack and 2 jack stands is faster. If you want to put the whole car up, the QuickJack is much faster than a jack and 4 jack stands.
I recently removed and replaced EVERYTHING aft of the engine flywheel on my GTV6 with the car on a QuickJack. I had good access to everything. The car was on the Quickjack for over 6 months.
@Sobol mentioned that he'd thought the 3500 lb QuickJack wouldn't fit. Is that the one you're using? Does it fit?
TIA
Joe

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a BL-5000SLX. The higher capacity units are too long to be used on a small car like the Alfetta GT.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can you get in from the sides or do you enter from the front and rear?

·
Registered
582 Posts
There is absolutely no access from the sides between the built-in jack "pads". You have to crawl in from the front or rear or the wheel wells (if the wheels are removed).

·
Joe Elwell
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone seen a jack point adaptor that will fit into the Alfa jack points? These were must-haves when I raced a BMW, but I don't see anything out there that would fit the jacking point of Alfas (or, for that matter, any other car).

·
Joe Elwell
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anyone seen a jack point adaptor that will fit into the Alfa jack points? These were must-haves when I raced a BMW, but I don't see anything out there that would fit the jacking point of Alfas (or, for that matter, any other car).

Never mind. I've been reading other posts on this board, and it seems those stock jacking points are less than optimal :).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts