Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 Spider and both of the vent window latch handles have come off. What is the best adhesive to glue the handles back on? I live in Texas so heat and sun will be an issue. Thanks, Mike

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Usually the $1.99 version of rear view mirror adhesive is the best bet.
Make sure everything is uber clean, including scraping all old residue off with a razor, and you can use a C-clamp or preferably one of those plastic quick release type clamps to hold it in place til the glue cures + a few hours just to be sure.

There are pix of the proper positions and angles linked out of the FAQ at the top of this subsection if you're not sure of the specifics.

Of course we'll need pictures of yours to ensure the quality of work and such on your part :)

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Usually the $1.99 version of rear view mirror adhesive is the best bet.
Right, thats what I just used on my alfaand worked ok (for now, hehe). Follow Darrens advice on getting the spot cleaned - the kit usually comes with a pad of solvent/cleaner (all it is is IPA- isopropanol).

Keep ypour fingers crossed as it could fall off anytime though even after its cured for a day!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
vent window latches

Before you remove all traces of where the latch was mounted use something to mark the location from the outside of the glass. Now when you super clean the inside of the window you will know exactly where to glue the latch back into place.

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
I have a 1985 Spider and both of the vent window latch handles have come off. What is the best adhesive to glue the handles back on? I live in Texas so heat and sun will be an issue. Thanks, Mike
As others have written, rearview mirror adhesive works better than epoxy, superglue, spit, etc. But honestly, nothing works all that well. Do you really need to latch your vent windows? If someone wants to break into your spider, they can easily slice the top. Why not leave the vent window latches off to give the crooks a less destructive entry route?

·
Premium Member
14,549 Posts
I gave up with them. I had a plan to drill a hole through the glass, tap a hole in the latch and find a nice stainless screw to hold them together. Maybe I will revisit it when I am retired and I have a lot of time on my hands.

A friend who is a chemist and Alfista suggested etching the glass with Hydrofluoric Acid so that the glue would have a better chance of sticking. We use that stuff at my place of work. It is nasty and I am not sure that I would want to smuggle some out.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I gave up with them. I had a plan to drill a hole through the glass, tap a hole in the latch and find a nice stainless screw to hold them together. Maybe I will revisit it when I am retired and I have a lot of time on my hands.

A friend who is a chemist and Alfista suggested etching the glass with Hydrofluoric Acid so that the glue would have a better chance of sticking. We use that stuff at my place of work. It is nasty and I am not sure that I would want to smuggle some out.
Right. HF is the most dangerous "common" laboratory acid around. Still, driving is dangerous too.

The amount of acid isnt the issue- its the fact that the surface of the window is VERTICAL. The acid droplet may run. too bad the window cant be placed flat.

Still, be careful.....probably just a drop , smeared, and checked for running, will do. Doesnt take much. Oh, just so you know, a strong alkalai base will etch glass too- like common household lye. Rinse either off profusely with DI water. Gloves/safety glasses are a must!!!!! No children around at all!!!

Man, what did they use at the factory........;.

·
Premium Member
14,549 Posts
drilling a hole in the glass- cmon. dont do it......
Why not? Have you never seen glass with a drilled hole? You need the correct drill bit and coolant.

·
Registered
59 Posts
latchless as of right now. Im going to use the adhesive and see how well it works and if they end up just falling off again then no big deal i guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW!!! I never knew one question would lead to such an intetresting discussion and new and inventive ways to use acid! Believe I'll try the rear view mirror glue at $ 1.99first before I break into the lab for the hydrofluoric acid. Besides, I already have a torn seat cover. Don't want to burn a hole through the seat cover, seat, carpet and all the way down through my perfectly rust free floor boards. I do like the idea about drilling the whole through the glass. Think Ed's on to something there. Of course, Jay has got a point. Suppose if I do fix the latches, then some A-clown could cut the top to get in the car. You know I have to try to fix them anyway, it's in my DNA. You guys have been great. I'll let y'all know how they turn out. Spider Mike

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
My latches have stuck on for a few years now, one with CA, the other with the rear view mirror adhesive (for some reason the CA worked great with one, not with the other). As others have said, clean clean clean. I used acetone. Use a very small drop of adhesive; this is not a case where more is better. You want as thin a layer as you can that still spreads fully under the base.

Re: drilling a hole, my old '63 Valiant had its vent latches mounted that way from the factory.

As for people cutting the top to get in . . . just don't lock the doors. I don't think too many folks with a normal-sized arm could fit very well through the vent window anyway to work the door handle.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I, too, used cheap rearview mirror glue, and the latches were still on five or six years later when I sold my Duetto.....I hardly ever locked them though....but my father in law always did whenever he used the Spider (not very often), and they never came off

1 - 20 of 25 Posts