Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am a new Alfa Owner ('88 Spider Veloce). My seats are soft and mushy - any recommendations on the best new seat bottom foam. I had read a few posts from others that said the IAP foam does not fit well. What about the seat bottom foam from Centerline?

Thanks in advance. I am learning lots from this forum already (and from the car as I inspect it more closely :(

Wade

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the BB!!
I cant help with the IAP vs. Centerline but when I had my seats reupholstered, I had the shop redo my seat foams as well and they turned out nice. You might want to check around and see if any upholsterers are willing to do the foams for you. It might be cheaper as well.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,940 Posts
Hmm...are those the original seats? They look like they have the foam bottoms from a later S4 model. I could be wrong here...maybe they went to those seats in '88.

In any case, you may not need completely new foam. If the foam in those are like mine, there are a few big open spaces where your butt goes. If it's the butt area that's saggy, you can probably remove the seat bottom foam from the metal base plate and stick in some supplemental foam blocks to fill the spaces. Cheap, easy, and no need to undo/redo all the hog rings on the bottom upholstery.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hmm...are those the original seats? They look like they have the foam bottoms from a later S4 model. I could be wrong here...maybe they went to those seats in '88.
My '87 Veloce seats look like those, except black w/red stitching. The '88 seat are similar, but have taller shoulder belt guides on the inside corner, for use with those bizarre motorized belts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In any case, you may not need completely new foam. If the foam in those are like mine, there are a few big open spaces where your butt goes. If it's the butt area that's saggy, you can probably remove the seat bottom foam from the metal base plate and stick in some supplemental foam blocks to fill the spaces. Cheap, easy, and no need to undo/redo all the hog rings on the bottom upholstery.
Thanks everyone, I will try Gubi's idea first. Then check out the local upholstery shops.

Wade

·
Registered
63 Posts
I put a new foam bottom in the driver's seat last year, Centerline, made in Italy. The shop had problems making it fit. My guess is the foam expanded too much after removing from the mold. I had the shop trim it to fit. They padded the existing passenger seat bottom to match. The shop was somewhat confused why I supplied the new foam, they're used to re-padding existing seats. The new driver's foam was definitely worth it, very comfortable compared to before.

In retrospect, I suppose I could have vacuum bagged the new foam in one of those info-mercial storage bags to shrink it back to size temporarily to pull the new cover over it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts