Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be replacing the exhaust in my 89 Quad, was curious what you guys think is the best route to go, for performance and sound.

My car has a performance header, and no cats ;)

Was thinking about going with the Ansa product, but figured id ask for some other opinions

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
I did a center straight pipe and Ansa Sport exhaust. Most will comment just replacing the rear exhaust with the Centerline Stinger (straight pipe).

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I have switched to an Afla cast iron two/two into two system, center muffler and straight tail pipe. I do not have a comparison to share with before/after results. Seems to work fine, not too loud

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
This is my Spider with Shankle headers, no cat and a Single Borla straight through muffler in the middle position. The mike was attached to the rear bumper and it is not that loud inside the car.

I have since rebuilt the engine for more power which made it louder. I added a small glass pack muffler in the tail pipe and now it does not scare my neighbors but it still sounds great on full song.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Ed,
What was the top end on the last two runs ??? Please......����

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
Check it out if you are ever in Columbia SC. However it does not sound as good as the GTV6 that I recently sold.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Obviously you live in a state with no emissions laws and good for you, I guess. But on an '89 having no cat only increases harmful emissions - absolutely no gain in performance. On my '90 I have the stock 4-2-1 setup with a high flow cat, stock center and no rear muffler - just a "stinger". It's pleasantly loud, with a bit of off-throttle resonance at certain specific RPMs. I don't really mind but have been thinking of talking to the muffler shop about a small resonator to get rid of it.

My primary advice is to find a good muffler shop to do the work. Bud's muffler in Denver is stupidly cheap for this sort of work - way less.than you can DYI.

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
But on an '89 having no cat only increases harmful emissions - absolutely no gain in performance
I believe that a new cat costs some performance and an old one can cost a lot. The only difference between the US and Euro Milanos was the exhaust system - the Euro's had no cat and the claimed power output was higher. It is true that stock motors are less impacted by exhaust restrictions than tuned engines but there will almost always be some power cost.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Ed,
I was more interested in what the top speed was. After rereading my question, I understand your answer.
So, MPH? I ask that because not only did the car sound freaking amazing, the trees were passing by at a freaking amazing rate.
��

·
Registered
254 Posts
WOW!!!! Thanks for posting the Videos!! I put them on my BIG screen TV, cranked up the volume, cracked a beer and voyeured with the drives!! Superb!! I'm going to modify my exhaust...local emissions checks precluded removing the cat, I've always loved the dual tip-up, end exhaust tips of the "Big" Austin Healeys' (and have found that look in the Ansa rear units) so the only mod I can see is messing the center/middle muffler. I'm thinking of going with a straight-through section (eliminating the center muffler all together) for a more sporty sound. Has anyone done this??? THANKS!!! Keep the videos coming!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
After watching the videos a couple more times, I decided to do a bit more research!!! I did note that both the preceding examples where carburated models that add a delicious note over injected models to the auditory experience of engine/exhaust sounds!!! I did find a 21-second youtube video on removing the center muffler section from an injected model, sounds not bad for minimum work. Does anyone else have sounds/mods for our eval??!!

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
Carbs did not influence the sound of my car. My GTV6 with fuel injection sounded better. Cams and compression ratio definitely have an effect.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My mechanic in Berkeley put on a stainless steel kit that he modified from a MagnaFlow product. It's really loud - like F1 in the tunnel at Monaco loud. I can't get over 2K rpm around town or people start to stare. I like the one post here who suggested a glass pak in the muffler - I'm going to ask my current mechanic if that's possible for my setup.

·
Registered
936 Posts
i have a Stebro stainless system on my GTV from ~12 years ago. i don't even know if they are still in business in Canada, but i personally would steer clear of using this system on an Alfa twin cam if i ever do another. while fitment was OK, i am unimpressed with the sound quality. its surprisingly loud and raspy for a 3 muffler system, and sounds more like a Japanese import tuner rather than a classic Italian. and its not just me. i was talking with the guys at a well known Alfa shop here in SoCal, they corroborated my thoughts on the sound.

next year i might be trying the Magnaflow system.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts