Robbins?
Carabou?
World?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question, but I'll make a suggestion:
Consider getting a canvas top w/the zip-down rear window...I've had one for about 6 years & couldn't live(down here in So. Florida)w/out it. Using the 'zip-down' I never have to turn on the air conditioner! Plus it helps preserve the rear window.

Regards

·
Registered
634 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question, but I'll make a suggestion:
Consider getting a canvas top w/the zip-down rear window...I've had one for about 6 years & couldn't live(down here in So. Florida)w/out it. Using the 'zip-down' I never have to turn on the air conditioner! Plus it helps preserve the rear window.

Regards
I second the suggestion of getting a zippered rear window.

Last winter my rear window sheared as I pulled it up during a cold spell in the 30s. Yeah, that action qualifies me for the dumb owner award. My excuse is that it's my first convertible, but even so I knew better and just plain forgot the cold weather guidance.

FYI I used Tear-Aid Repair Type B to repair it; repair works well, just doesn't look good. Tear-Aid is more opaque than transparent.

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
A key question is: Do you plan to install the top yourself, or are you going to have an upholstery shop do it? Here's why that is pertinent:

Many upholsterers will want to source the top themselves. Like mechanics who insist on sourcing parts, upholsterers buy at wholesale but price at retail on your invoice. So they make money both on marking-up the top, as well as on the labor. I'm not disagreeing that upholsterers should make money, but you should be aware that you may pay another couple hundred for a name brand top if you source it through your installer.

If you install the top yourself, or find an upholsterer that will install a top that you supply, you can buy on-line at wholesale prices. Topsonline ( http://www.topsonline.com/model/Convertible_Tops_And_Accessories/Alfa_Romeo/1971_thru_1994_Alfa_Romeo_Spider_1750_And_2000,_Graduate,_Quadrifoglio_And_Veloce..html ) sells Robbins StayFast padded tops for $398. Robbins doesn't sell tops directly on its own website, but their tops are available from International Auto for $665 (which is probably Robbins' retail price) . See: http://www.international-auto.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=2784&addcar=1

There are a couple of interesting essays on the web at http://www.thehogring.com/2011/10/29/the-problem-withcustomers-who-buy-their-own-convertible-tops/ and http://www.electrontop.com./before-buy.html that discuss this issue from the upholsterer's perspective. Again, I'm sympathetic to a point; car upholstery is another small business that is getting "hollowed out" by the Internet. But hey, that's life in the 21st Century.

Electron and AutoBerry are two other convertible top makers to consider. Is Caribou still around?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick feedback, any brands other than Carabou to stay away from? Jay, I plan to self install, up for good challenge...

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
+1 on the zippered rear window. Our '85 Graduate does not have one, but the '87 Turbo Cab does. Often with the hot summer sun, we keep the top up and the rear window un zipped

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
I'm thinking of a new roof for next year. A zippered window does sound pretty neat! Does it flop around back there when driving with it down? Do you need to do anything with it so it doesn't scratch while lying back there?

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Did an Autoberry on a 1984 over the summer.

Very good quality.

·
Administrator
17,002 Posts
Just curious, how does a zippered window remain watertight ?
Like a screen door on a submarine?

Actually, the zipper part is usually an inch or so inside the perimeter of the opening in the top fabric. So it is out of any direct rain ingression. And the zipper runs along the sides & top of the window, not the bottom.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Leaky

It is my belief all soft top vehicles will leak. That given, what is a few more drops??

We never take our convertibles out when rain is in the area, and the cars are always garaged. Rarely if ever will you see a soft top with an original floor for a reason.

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
Eight or nine years ago I bought two tops a few months apart, one for my Spider and the other for my daughters Celica convertible. I had both fitted at the same upholstery shop who turned out to be not the most skilled. The first top came from Duetto Motors. They had a take it or leave it attitude and did not want to discuss the installation. The second came from Tops Online and I was impressed with the way that they led the installer by the nose when he got into trouble. They were very customer oriented and I would definitely do business with them again.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
@mcola:

The 'zip-down' rear window does NOT "flop around" when unzipped. It just lays down & stays there. When I put the entire top down I unzip the rear window first...this way it doesn't get scratched & it eliminates getting creased so as not to eventually crack. One suggestion: use a bar of (dry)soap on the upper corners of the zipper(just a very light application), this will kind of lubricate the zipper & make it much easier to close-up the rear window...this also eliminates the possibility of the zipper's 'teeth' mis-aligning!

Regards

ps-whoever asked about "leaking zippers": I've never(in 6+years) had any leaks!

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Alfisti,

Does anyone produce a Stayfast top with the 'zip-down' rear window option for a '64 Giulia Spider?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm planning on a new top next season and have been checking on prices and installers.

My Alfa shop recommended a local installer to me who does a lot of Alfa tops and interiors in northern California. I called and they were very helpful. I was told the Stayfast tops made by Robbins are OK but they preferred the fit on the ones made by GAHH. No zip-out windows, though. The GAHH '71-'93 Alfa Spider tops are listed here. You can order directly if you're going to try the install yourself.

1991 - GAHH Online Store

1 - 20 of 25 Posts