Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tearing into the rust repair & rustproofing on the floors of my 74 spider.

Currently the driver's side is done & in bare paint - and boy does it get hot from the exhaust!

I'll be reinstalling the rubber Alfa mats. But what do you recommend I lay down on the floors to deaden the resonance and absorb some heat?

Dynamat? Foil insulation? Also, in a spider something that does not absorb water would be preferable (just in case!).

Thanks - Dickson

·
Super Moderator
11,551 Posts
I'm tearing into the rust repair & rustproofing on the floors of my 74 spider. Currently the driver's side is done & in bare paint - and boy does it get hot from the exhaust!
Do you have the aluminum & asbestos head shield installed? The one that fits above the front muffler and below the floor? Generally those block heat pretty effectively.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Asbestos

Jay, on my "74 Spider, that piece is just metal. Is it suppose to have some asbestos fiber insulation stuff attached to it? Also, mine appears to be held on losely by a couple screws. Is this normal? Thanks, Paul.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I used Por-15 for the floor and then Dynamat and all the joints sealed with aircraft aluminium tape, no water will pass through.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I used RAAMmat everywhere under the carpeting. Even used it underneath the car attached to the underside of the floor panel that's above the exhaust, and in the door panels. Easy to work with. There should be an asbestos mat adhered to the upper side of the metal heat shield. If you remove the heat shield, just be careful removing the mat if it's deteriorated. Wet it down first to reduce airborne particles, and wear a mask for safety. Here's the link for the underlayment: RAAMaudio - Automotive sound deadening products.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts